Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Need HelpWith Information for Memorial

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Dot, Jan 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Dot

Dot New Member

At our local Cemetery, they have a very nice Veterans Memorial. I am purchasing a black 12"x12" granite paver to honor my father-in-law. They allow for 6 lines of 15 spaces (including spaces). My question is....Is it appropriate to write AT Company 109th Infantry Regiment 28th Infantry Division as AT Co 109R 28ID? This is the only way to fit on one line. I can't ask my husband because it is a surprise Father's Day gift to him as well. Even though the paver will be set into place by Memorial Day.

Thanks
    Dot

2. Takao

Takao Ace

IIRC it would be 109IR, not 109R.

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I think Takao is correct. That conveys all the necessary details nicely. The memorial will be a fine surprise.

4. Natman

Natman Member

The "IR" will take the line over the maximum number of letters, 15, per line.

Dot, I'm assuming you need all six lines, but if not, can you do something like: Anti-tank Co
    109IR 28ID
    This is certainly a waste of space though?

You're idea isn't bad though, I would assume most folks reading it will know nothing about the 28th and ones that do will be aware of the 109th IR.

Tough dilemma!!

Dot likes this.
  5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Maybe something like: AT CO 109IR WW2

It meets the 15 character/space requirement. Anyone with access to Google or a library will be able to determine that the 109th was part of the 28th Infantry Division during WW2.

6. Dot

Dot New Member

Thanks everyone. After going through multiple sheets of papers trying to figure it out, I went with:

BROOKS
    SGT MITCHELL E
    WWII ETO
    AT CO 109R 28ID
    ARMY
    5 BATTLE STARS

Of course it will all be centered. Not real happy with the space constraints, but I am thrilled that I was able to get the Memorial. This is the last row available at the Veterans Memorial.

Thanks again
    Dot

Otto and BFBSM like this.
  7. Natman

Natman Member

Doh!! I sent you a private message before I saw this. It will look great and it sounds like you got into the memorial just in the nick of time.

Your husband will be proud!

8. LRusso216

Looks good Dot. Your husband will be surprised and delighted. Good show.

9. TD-Tommy776

I agree with Steve. It will look great. Be sure to post a photo of the finished memorial paver for your father-in-law.

10. Dot

Dot New Member

Thanks everyone. I am so excited, I don't know how I am going to keep my mouth shut until Memorial Day. I know he will be touched by it. A Facebook friend in Germany sent me some items he found in the Hurtgen Forest and the first thing my husband said was he wished his Dad was here to see the items. I will definitely post a photo.

Thanks
    Dot

11. BFBSM

BFBSM Member

Dot,

An excellent memorial. Your husband will hopefully be pleased with your effort, and the rest of the family able to acknowledge your father-in-law in a permanent place for reflection.

Mark

12. Dot

Dot New Member

13. LRusso216

A fitting memorial, Dot. Even without the"I", it is very impressive. I can't wait until your husband sees it. If you can, take a picture of his reaction and post it here. Well done.

Buten42 likes this.
  14. Dot

Dot New Member

Lou, I couldn't wait until Memorial Day. I took him there this evening. He was speechless and became a little sniffly. I have also contacted a researcher and I am now waiting for his personnel file. This will be the second half of his Father's Day gift. At this point I think I have done all I can do with honoring my Father-in-law, except getting his medals replaced. I am waiting on his records to do this. But WWII in ETO has become an addiction that I have no intention of kicking!

Dot

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  15. TD-Tommy776

What you have done and are continuing to do to honor your Father-in-law is really something special. I can't think of a more meaningful gift you could give to your husband. My hat's off to you, Dot!

16. LRusso216

Going the researcher route is a good call. I used Golden Arrow and was very pleased with the result. For replacement medals, did you go with NARA?

17. Dot

Dot New Member

Lou, I haven't submitted for the medals yet. I am guessing I would have to go through NARA. I have also heard that contacting the local Congressman may be worth the effort also. But there are restrictions on who can request them. I may have to go through NARA. I'll have to be a little :liar:, if you know what I mean!

18. Dot

Dot New Member

Tommy, thank you! I should be receiving records from the researcher (I used Norm Richards) sometime next week. I am very anxious to receive them!

Dot

19. TD-Tommy776

No deceit would be necessary. Your husband, as his son, would be considered his Next of Kin. There's nothing wrong with submitting the request in his name.

20. LRusso216

Tommy is correct. You should have no trouble with NARA. Medals are easy to replace. I have received two sets from them. It shouldn't take very long.