Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Foreign Language WWII Movies?

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by michael6120, Jan 21, 2015.

1. michael6120

michael6120 New Member

Hi all . .

Please dont let me give you the wrong idea with my next line . . . I watched Inglorious Basterds the other night . . Once again, please don't let me give you the wrong idea!! . . But one thing I really really enjoyed was listening to foreign language with subtitles (Germen and French with english subtitles) . . I'd love to discover some WWII movies I havent seen before. . and I imagine there is a large amount of european WWII movies out there. .

My wife and I would like to know of some WWII movies, preferably european/WWII movies . . (we both find the Nazi's fascinating) I remember seeing many bits and pieces on Australian TV station SBS but never watched anything as I wasnt into reading subtitles at the time. . . my taste has changed recently . . hearing real language makes the authenticity so much better, therefore very enjoyable for to watch. I plan to watch Downfall next and we've seen Das Boot (which was great!). They dont need to be battle orientated either . . Anything great that is WWII. .

Can anyone recommend any great foreign WWII movies for us to check out?

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

You could start with these in German

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6L-SjuHigI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLtxQWOvz_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUDuPuqWrSo

Drew5233 likes this.
  3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

This was one of the ways in which the 1969 movie 'Battle Of Britain' changed the game - the director was absolutely determined that the Germans should be German, and not the cartoonish 'Ve haff vays off making you talk' which had been the vogue. . After a major tussle with the producers, he got his way and at the time it seemed revolutionary for the English to speak English and the Germans to speak German ( with subtitles ).

4. michael6120

michael6120 New Member

Thanks Skip!

Martin, the 'cartoonish' reference is a great way of describing the whole 'we haff vays of making you talk' haha! Battle of Britain is another one I gotta watch again after 20 years.

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I also suggest this if you like Japanese language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n38F-0a_WhE

6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

A brilliant German production last year on Hitler's last days...but my all time favourite is Das Boot...don't watch it, buy it : )

7. michael6120

michael6120 New Member

While kids my age were watching Disney movies . . I was watching Das Boot. . haha! One of my all time favourites!

Skip, all those clips look fantastic. . there is SO MUCH great stuff out there that I need to discover. . I will be getting hold of those films above. Thanks again

8. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

'Das Boot' is quite fantastic to watch - but beware, there are several different versions. You need the very full-length one with subtitles. The 'cut-down' version which is dubbed into English is absolutely awful !

Drew5233 likes this.
  9. Drew5233

Drew5233 Member

10. McCabe

McCabe Active Member

Downfall (German: Der Untergang) is a 2004 German war film directed by Oliver Hirschbiegel, depicting the final ten days of Adolf Hitler's reign over Nazi Germany in 1945.
    The film is written and produced by Bernd Eichinger, and based upon the books Inside Hitler's Bunker, by historian Joachim Fest; Until the Final Hour, the memoirs of Traudl Junge, one of Hitler's secretaries (co-written with Melissa Müller); Albert Speer's memoirs, Inside the Third Reich; Hitler's Last Days: An Eye–Witness Account, by Gerhardt Boldt; Das Notlazarett unter der Reichskanzlei: Ein Arzt erlebt Hitlers Ende in Berlin by Doctor Ernst-Günther Schenck; and Siegfried Knappe's memoirs, Soldat: Reflections of a German Soldier, 1936–1949.
    The film was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film.

I loved this movie. It's all in German, and it's the best cinema-version of a Hitler that I've ever seen.

11. michael6120

michael6120 New Member

Yes! I have the full length with subtitles version. . For many years I only had the shorter, English version but maybe 5-7 years ago I got the real deal :)

Also McCabe, Downfall is next on the list for my wife and I to watch! She's not so much into battle scene / action movies but we both find Nazi / Hitler / Jewish survival movies amazing to watch. Tonight we watched Defience. . It was good but didn't blow me away - but was worth watching. Tomorrow or the weekend we'll watch Downfall!

12. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

and the older Chinese version of Nanking . A must see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn2OHcPT2_M&list=PL7C5FD22ED09A4927

13. lwd

lwd Ace

Not WW2 for the most part but Kuroswa's films are almost all worth watching. See:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akira_Kurosawa
    Eisensteins films are also of interest particularly when viewed as being propganda in the inter war period. Alexander Nevsky is one of my favorites. See:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Nevsky_(film)
    Of course if you are talking propaganda in the pre WW2 period there's always the Triumph of the Will I think you can get that legally now. When I was in college it could only be shown for "educational" purposes. Beautiful filmography and a very chilling film when you know what is to come.

14. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

15. FalkeEins

FalkeEins Member

16. Carronade

Carronade Ace

I may be the minority, but I don't find that having to read subtitles contributes anything to the movie experience. We all know they're "really" speaking German, Japanese, Latin, whatever; I'd rather concentrate my visual sense on the actors, scenery, cinematography, etc. An exagerrated accent can be annoying, but English with a slight accent is fine.

p.s. it's well known that ancient Romans spoke with upper-class British accents ;)

17. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Lol. I watched Das Boot for the first time when a teen with the English dubs. It was horrendous. Ruined the whole movie. I never let my father, who bought it for me, forget it. I came home from school one afternoon and he had the other copy waiting for me. Said he watched 30 mins of the dubbed and went to the video store. Lol

18. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Wish I had looked at this thread earlier. I just watched the Directors Cut of Das Boot and it was just spectacular. I didn't find the sub-titles got in the way of the film.

19. Bundesluftwaffe

Bundesluftwaffe New Member

B/W movie about Stalingrad...........I like it: (maybe as good as the other newer one, but less action so most won´t like it as they like action more)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxS7uFNX4sk

20. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor