Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

If Chaos Reigns

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by LRusso216, Jan 25, 2015.

1. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I just finished reading this book by Flint Whitlock. It covers the role of paratroopers and glidermen from the US, Britain, and Canada in the D-Day invasion. Most of what they accomplished was the result of small unit clashes in places like Ste. Mere-Eglies. Despite the small unit nature of these attacks, they managed to do the job of delaying the German attacks on the beaches. The book followed the units of each country, the action they participated in, and the outcomes of each clash. Many familiar names showed up, but I was especially gratified to read about Richard Pine-Coffin because his son Michael sometimes graces these pages with his commentary. These troops certainly had a difficult job, which often went awry despite their extensive training. They often fell back on this training to accomplish some, if not all, of their objectives. A meaningful book for me that shed some light on an often downplayed role of these men.

2. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

some of them landing at night, in a strange area, strange country....no heavy weapons, behind the lines!!...some dropped far from where they would at least know the location...some mixed in with troops from totally different units......and they went forward, to get the job done...scared, yes...maybe....was it a crazy adventure to some??...a few years before, they would just be waking up, to a hot breakfast at home.....now, in an instant, death would be near, in the shadows/darkness..!!

3. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting. How was the prose?

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Good read. Prose was easy to follow and interesting. Much of it was in the words of those who partcipated.

5. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Thanks Russo. You know at times they can get a tad too technical without good anecdotal stories embedded within.

At the moment I am reading Stauffenberg: A Family History by Hoffman. To be honest it is ghastly writing but filled with great research. It has filled in some factual holes that I was looking for, but it is strictly a text book.