Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Children of Auschwitz Return

Discussion in 'Concentration, Death Camps and Crimes Against Huma' started by GRW, Jan 26, 2015.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

I admire their courage for going back.
    "Too bewildered and dehumanised to show any emotion, a dozen young faces peer out from a world beyond comprehension.
    Witnesses to unfathomable depths of human savagery, these are among the last occupants of history’s most infamous slaughterhouse.
    To stand in the Arctic chill of Auschwitz today, it seems extraordinary that anyone survived what unfolded here.
    Yet, astonishingly, most of the people in this photograph – taken exactly 70 years ago today – are still alive. What’s more, four of them – including a victim of the abominable human vivisectionist, Dr Josef Mengele – have returned to Auschwitz to mark the 70th anniversary of the day that Soviet troops liberated this place.
    And around 100 survivors will gather here this afternoon, alongside world leaders, to remember all of the 6million Jewish victims of Nazi Germany’s trans-contintental programme of industrial genocide.
    Having beaten such insuperable odds to stay alive, it is a solemn sense of obligation to both past and future generations which has persuaded this small, heroic band to make this painful return journey for today’s anniversary.
    Ahead of the ceremonies, there have been some extraordinary and deeply moving scenes here, not least a reprise of that famous liberation photograph by Red Army photographer Alexander Vorontsov.
    After extensive detective work, the California-based Shoah Foundation, created by director Steven Spielberg, has tracked down the names of nearly all those in the photo to arrange this week’s reunion.
    Eva Kor was a few days short of her eleventh birthday when the Soviets suddenly arrived, along with Vorontsov and his ‘huge’ cameras. ‘We couldn’t believe that we really were free,’ Eva tells me. ‘So we kept walking out of the gate and then back in again. To do that without being shot – well, that was such a feeling of freedom that I still do it when I come back all these years later.’"
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2926645/Survivors-visit-Auschwitz-day-ahead-70th-anniversary.html#ixzz3PytI4lJZ

2. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

how simplistic<>walking in and out of the gate!!! but to them, a feeling most of us cannot imagine!!..why?? because humans treated them --well--...you know how

3. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Going through those gates is on my bucket list. It just gives the chills looking at that entrance to Auschwitz II-Birkenau. Kaufering and Auschwitz are the two camps I want to see the next time I go to Europe. Thank you for sharing Historian!

4. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

I can't even imagine the memories that they have. Historian said it best, truly admire them.