Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German Nazi Uniform

Discussion in 'Living History' started by joey88, Feb 9, 2015.

1. joey88

joey88 New Member

Hi all, just signed up to this forum on the off chance anyone knows their history!

I have some old German photos (have loads) but I haven't a clue what rank / position they held from their uniform. I was wondering whether anyone could work out from their uniform / badges what they did?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums!
    Second one looks like a panzer crewman in the Afrika Korps, other than that no idea, I'm afraid.

3. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

First one looks to be a Captain...perhaps a chaplain
    Second one is a member of the Waffen SS in tropical uniform. Rank is SS Mann. Could have taken part in the invasion of Greece. Das Reich perhaps. The Army tank crewman had the Wehrmacht eagle and the roundel on their caps. This individual has the Waffen SS eagle (with pointed wings) and the SS totenkopf. I believe those Waffen SS units that fought in the Crimea may have also worn the tropical uniforms
    Third one is a lieutenant. Nothing else I could see to add.

von Poop likes this.
  4. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

First chap.
    Heer Hauptmann/Captain.
    Infantry? (18? on strap) 18th Division.

Second chap.
    Can't make out what sort of Eagle. Likely Heer by my eye, and given not that many SS in Tropische mode, Gordon's surmisal that he's somehow Panzer attached seems reasonable to me.
    Schutze, Private etc. going by unadorned shoulder tabs.

Third chap.
    Lord knows - detail not good.
    An officer of some sort!

As you can tell, this is not my bag. ;)
    Hopefully Skip or someone will be along soonish to bring a bit more solid commentary.
    Good luck.

Edit - Cross-posted with PzJgr above! His SS commentary makes sense to me.

5. joey88

joey88 New Member

Thank you guys!

The photos are of my Great Grandfather and Grandfather. My grandfather was taken to England as POW and I think (i'll have to check his release papers) he was based in the camp in Rutland. He then worked as a Butler and then later became a nurse :) !

First photo - Great Grandfather
    Second Photo - Grandfather
    Third Photo - Great Grandfather again.

Aparently (and this isnt 100%) but I was told my great grandfather was placed in an American concentration camp...

My Grandad's name was Hans Lange - but when he came to England he combined both his father's and mother's surnames so became Hans Lange Von Wolff. His mother was taken prisoner in East Berlin - was suspected of being a spy and didn't get released until she was about 60. I think she originally came from Russia and was a baroness: Senta Von Wolff.

All very interesting and at the moment just trying to learn about my Grandad's role (and his father's role in the WW2)

Thanks for all the info - shall get researching!

6. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

I think your are correct.

7. joey88

joey88 New Member

Ah ok confusing! I do remember being told that he was in the Waffen SS so perhaps it was that but never heard anything about the Afrika Korps but I guess its possible.

8. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I stake $$$ the second photo is Waffen SS.

Here is the Waffen SS panzertruppen's cap but same emblems used on all caps

[​IMG]

and here is the Army's panzer uniform. Notice the emblems on the cap. Also note where the totenkopf is worn and the type

[​IMG]

Here is a photo of the Waffen SS eagle and Totenkopf

[​IMG]

Here you can see the Wehrmacht's eagle and the panzertruppen's totenkopf.

[​IMG]

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The chaplain is called "Pharer" in German. He seems to be a WW1 too and has several Verdienst (merit) medal recalls. His rank is Hauptmann I believe.

10. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Seems like the second picture, focusing on the Totenkopf is of the SS variety. The actual uniform is quite casual.

11. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Regarding the second picture, I am a little stumped on that one especially with the death's head on it but on the axis history forum there was a bit of a discussion regarding a similar type of uniform.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=147239

and this is a picture of men wearing the tropical version of the Waffen SS uniform

Attached Files:

12. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Wasn't arguing, old boy. I can't claim to be any kind of expert on German uniforms.

I would be really interested in reading about his exploits, if you have anything written down? It's a field I've studied myself to a certain extent; I'm admin on a facebook group called PoW UnderGround, so there are plenty of eager historians in the audience.

13. joey88

joey88 New Member

Ah this is brilliant thank you all for your knowledge :) ooh I shall be joining that facebook group for sure.

I wish I knew more - he died way before I was born and never really talked about his exploits. So trying to piece together everything. I will have to go through his stuff and try and find out more!

14. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Was not meant for you Gordon nor anyone else. Just relaying my confidence in what kind of uniform it was. Cheers :salute: