Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What my Grandfather did During WW2

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by Molsman, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Molsman

Molsman New Member

First off I am new to the Forum

Here is what little I know about My Grandfather during WW2. The One Story I keep remembering was what he Told us when he was Drafted. He and His twin Brother went to the Recruiters Office and My grandfather said to him, "Since we were Drafted I Guess we are Stuck in Infantry?" Recuriter turned around and said "No you can go where ever you would like to Serve your Country" My grandfather turned around and Said "Well I Want to Drive a Tank!" Hence how My grandfather started his Military Career as a Tank Driver from what he told us in the 191st Tank BN Charlie Company assigned to the 45th Infantry. My Grandfather Went Army and his Twin Brother Went Navy. I would love to find out more about my Grandfathers Unit and as mentioned further below he does not Really talk about the War anymore plus with his Dementia really starting to get the best of him.

thank you
    Larry

Below are Some Photo's of them Both

Fred L. Speece 191st Tank BN Charlie Company

[​IMG]

From what my Uncle has told me this is Stateside Photos Still Grandfather has Top Hat not sure who other 2 Men are

[​IMG]

His Twin Brother KIA 25,September 1943 off the Coast of Salerno

Speece, Frank K.

EM3

[​IMG]

Last Photo of My Grandfather and His Brother Frank Together Circa 1943 Place Unknown

[​IMG]

My Grandfathers Log Book he Kept During his Journey and Place where his Brother is buried and where My Grandfathers Tank was taken out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Where my Grandfather Earned a Purple Heart and where his Tank was taken out

My Grandfather will be turning 93 this Weekend and really does not talk much about the War anymore plus Dementia has taken over

Pics from this Past Veterans Day with My Cousin Rob who Served in Desert Storm

[​IMG]

Last but not Least A Picture of My Grandfather next to a similar tank he Drove During his Career at a Local War Memorial in Langhorne Pa

[​IMG]

2. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

very well done post here ...I like that top hat....

3. Natman

Natman Member

Welcome, Larry. Nice set of photos, you're lucky to have that diary.

Here's a few links to get you going. First two are older 191st threads on this site:

http://www.ww2f.com/topic/44047-191-tank-battalion/?hl=%2B191st+%2Btank+%2Bbattalion#entry492391

http://www.ww2f.com/topic/5917-191st-tank-battalion/?hl=%2B191st+%2Btank+%2Bbattalion

There is a short unit history avaliable. Go to your local library and have them search for the the 191st TB, a page similar to this will come up on their computer: http://www.worldcat.org/title/191-tank-bn/oclc/37182922&referer=brief_results
    They can then request a copy of the book be sent to them, thru the inter-library loan program, and you can then check it out. It's not very big but I found a description of it here, sounds like it would be worth seeing: http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/191st-tank-battalion-1945-unit-history-book

Good luck,
    Steve

Molsman likes this.
  4. Molsman

Molsman New Member

Steve

Thank you for the links that is how I actually found this Site and the Book your talking about another Poster scanned it to his site and I obtained it that Way, Now My Uncle and I are trying to pinpoint my Grandfather in the Charlie Company Photo. It has been a few years I have been trying to find more info out and I found another site that someone else posted with all the AAR's from the 191st which I started to read today which is very informative. Another Side Project I am working on Over the Weekend I found out my Partner at work ( She is an EMT and I have been a Paramedic for 28yrs) Came out and told me that her Grandfather is 2nd Lt. Donald R. McNeeley of the 385thBG who flew over 25 B-17 missions then went off to fly P-51s we are working on the P-51 part now. And yes After Seeing the Movie FURY the Top Hat Scene made me think of the Photo of my Grandfather.

Larry

5. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Please pass my regards to your grandfather Molsman! :salute:

6. Natman

Natman Member

Looks like you've already covered a fair amount of research ground work, Larry. If you can post links to the sites with the history book and the AAR's, they would help future visitors to this site.

And, AAR's are usually very interesting reading anyway!!

One of my uncle's was a tooglier for the 487th BG. They were shot down 4/10/45, here's a link to a photo of the plane: http://www.487thbg.org/Photos/QueenOfHearts.shtml

QOH wasn't his regular plane, this one was: http://www.487thbg.org/Photos/BombsAway1.shtml

7. Molsman

Molsman New Member

8. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Outstanding post on your Grandfather, Larry. I'm glad that our website was able to help you in your research. Please wish your Grandfather a very happy 93rd birthday from all of us here at the Forum. And, of course, thank him for his service and sacrifice.

9. Molsman

Molsman New Member

I will Thanks All
    Dam 93 yrs old Lost his Wife back in 2002 and Still Kicking I give him alot of Credit FYI My NANA ( My Grandfathers Wife)passed away 1 month after my Mom Passed they always say if a family member pass's another one does I did not belive that til that happened

10. Molsman

Molsman New Member

[​IMG]

3Photos I could not post when I first made this topic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know he Made Sharpshooter during basic

Slipdigit likes this.
  11. Molsman

Molsman New Member

i know the siegfried line photo does not match but general ideal where he was when he Earned his Purple Heart and other unknown medals

12. Molsman

Molsman New Member

just ashame as busy as his unit was during the War there is not much to go with unless you were with Patton's Brigade he also spoke at one brief monet his unit was supposed to meet up with Patton but ended the story with that

13. johnrmoses

johnrmoses New Member

Thanks for sharing those photos and the story of those brothers.

14. Molsman

Molsman New Member

here is a recent photo from this past weekend I thought my Grandfather was going to be 93 but I was actually wrong and he just turned 91

[​IMG]

15. comeaux

comeaux Member

Awesome post Larry and thanks for the great pictures and story !!!

16. Molsman

Molsman New Member

Thank you all it is ashame that the Dementia Has taken my Grandfathers memory away he did not even know who I was when I was at his party and he saw my Kids for the 3 rd time in years since I do not make it down as much as i would like but my aunt Kept telling him they are Joannes Grandkids who I also lost at a very young age so towards the end he knew who my kids where

17. Molsman

Molsman New Member

Sorry I have not checked in lately but today another Member of the 191st went to Rest My Grandfather Fred L. Speece Sr passed away in his sleep at the humble age of 91 he returned home to join his wife Marie, His Twin Brother Frank from the USS Skill which was sank on Salerno Coast 25/Sept/43 , his Daughters (My Mom Joanne) and Kathy and his Brother Albert full Obit can be found here at the link

http://www.doughertyfuneralhome.com/sitemaker/sites/DOUGHE1/obit.cgi?user=48153185_FSpeeceSr

Larry

18. johnrmoses

johnrmoses New Member

My sympathies, and thanks for sharing these stories and photos.

19. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

My sincere condolences for your loss, Larry. Thank you for letting us know about his passing.

20. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Sorry to hear that Larry. I'm glad you shared that with us.