Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Would my grandfather have qualified...?

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by 09cs, Feb 28, 2015.

1. 09cs

09cs Member

I'm trying to make a shadow box with replica medals for in my grandfathers memory. We have a few of his original medals, and some of the cloth ribbons that look like they were once sewn on a uniform. I know he was stateside from 41-late 43/44 and then over seas till Jan. of 46 I believe. I'm thinking it was somewhere in Czech, because he was at Pilsen and battle of central Europe. So would he have qualified for the occupation medal if he left in Jan. of 46?

Thanks!

2. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Assuming he was in the ETO for at least 30 consecutive days between May 9th 1945 and January 1946, yes. It is possible he was discharged before the medal was issued, so this would explain why he is "missing" the medal -- the Army of Occupation medal wasn't authorized until April 1946 and wasn't awarded until a year later.

3. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

It is given to those who served around 30 days of a normal post duty on an assignment of occupation. Depending on when he got there and how long he served in the occupation, as long as he served there for 30 days he would qualify for that medal. However the medal was not established until April of 1946 and it wasn't distirbuted until 1947. So if he was to have been given the medal, it would have been given to him late, which I am unsure that they can do. But if it had been established before your grandfather left, as long as he served in the occupation for at least 30 days, he would have qualified. Hopefully this will help you some 09cs. Good luck with your project ;)!

Here is a link that includes its criteria for reference
    http://www.afpc.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=7801

4. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Retroactive awards are not an issue. The Bronze Star wasn't authorized to be issued with the CIB until 1947, for instance, but is awarded to a CIB recipient if he asks for it.

5. 09cs

09cs Member

Thanks for the info! He was discharged in Feb. of 1946 so that may explain it, and he never "asked" for it or knew if he qualified is my guess. Thanks everyone!