Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

World War II museums in the world

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by HellWarrior, Mar 31, 2015.

1. HellWarrior

HellWarrior Member

Hi!

I would like to know if there is a list with all the World War II museums in the world or by countries? I would be very interested in having this information. If you know of any museums that you know about the subject, just let me know.

Thanks for your help!

2. lwd

lwd Ace

In the US there are quite a few. Aberdeen has an impressive vehicle collection for example. I'm not sure how much of the Armor Museum is now at Knox. Ft Bliss has one with some WWII content as does Rock Island and Ft Lewis (at least it used to). Then there are the museum ships around half a dozen battleships as well as a fair number of others. I suspect many if not most major military instalations in the US have at least a WWII "gate guard" (I think there is a list of those somewhere) if not a full up museum. Others that I can think of are: The Smithsonian (some content), Pearl Harbor, Ft Columbia, Ft Stevens (I haven't been there but it's the only continental US military post that was attacked during the war). Then there are a number of private museums as well for instance there's one in Chehalis Wa.

3. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

PzJgr likes this.
  4. hali

hali New Member

there is a 12th Armored Division Museum in Abilene, TX.
    tHERE IS A WEBSITE BY THAT NAME.

5. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

The short answer is no.

There is a guide to European museums and I have been compiling a directory of British military museums and battlefields on www.britishbattlefields.com There are hundreds of museums in Britain alone.

6. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

7. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

Its a start, but doesn't include some major musuems that are not specific to WWII but have large WWII related galleries. I.E. the National Museum of the Air Force, the National Naval Aviation Museum, The Smithsonian, etc.

Also doesn't include ships such as the Alabama in Mobile, North Carolina in Wilmington, Yorktown in Charleston, etc.