Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Survivors, veterans recall Buchenwald horror 70 years on

Discussion in 'Concentration, Death Camps and Crimes Against Huma' started by LRusso216, Apr 12, 2015.

1. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

An interesting article, and an anniversary to remember.

Buchenwald survivor Henry Oster recalls thinking a fellow inmate had "lost his sense of reality" when he said 70 years ago Saturday that the concentration camp was being liberated, bringing an end to the long ordeal of the 21,000 surviving prisoners.
    Oster, 86, visited the site near the German city of Weimar for the first time since its liberation on April 11, 1945 - one of a group of survivors and veterans who came to mark the anniversary of the liberation. Buchenwald was the first major concentration camp American forces entered at the end of World War II.
    Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/nation_world/20150412_Survivors__veterans_recall_Buchenwald_horror_70_years_on.html#DEA8dS8stodpLs8q.99

[​IMG]

Henry Oster (right), a survivor of the camp at Buchenwald, visits the memorial to the camp's Jewish victims. MARKUS SCHREIBER / AP

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/nation_world/20150412_Survivors__veterans_recall_Buchenwald_horror_70_years_on.html#DEA8dS8stodpLs8q.99

Smiley 2.0 likes this.
  2. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

A touching story. :( Survivors and liberators alike always deserve recognition.

3. edhunter76

edhunter76 Member

There are so few left of them anymore. Younger generations must make sure that these stories won't disappear when last of the survivors are gone.

I have said this elsewhere but what made my visit in Auschwitz so memorable was the real survivors I saw there that day. To see their reactions was something I never though I feel. It made me feel somehow that I don't have the right to be there as a tourist with my camera and all.

4. Incessant

Incessant New Member

Thanks for sharing.

Agreed. I am often surprised at how little of the holocaust people know when I bring it up. I was talking to a good friend about it and he floored me with a suggestion that I offer a class on it. Not being a teacher, I asked how I would do that?
    He suggested offering a course through Adult Education. I think I will look into this. I have a lot of knowledge and would love to educate as many people as possible about this.

5. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

It's a great idea. I will be very easy to set up. I wonder what educational background you will need. I doubt you need a certificate. I'd look into it.

6. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

My father was there on the day after liberation. He was a truck driver with a medical unit of the 474th. He acted as a translator for Doc Sommers who wrote a report on the diet of the inmates. I recall my mom telling me about the lampshades made from tattooed human skins. The politics of the past five years have helped me understand how the locals could say "We didn't know."

I have a picture of a teenaged SS guard who was garrotted and beaten to death by inmates on the day of the liberation taken by one of dad's friends.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Terry D likes this.