Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Only Three Sons Came Home

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Apr 17, 2015.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

This deserves a much wider audience.
    "Paul Liversidge has vowed to spend the rest of his life making sure the world learns of his family's remarkable contribution to the defence of Australia during World War II.
    His great-grandmother Mary Hutchins had two daughters and nine sons. Seven of the nine boys enlisted in the AIF and only three came home.
    Mr Liversidge, a 49-year-old former milk factory worker from Mooroopna, near Shepparton, in Victoria, doesn't know how long he has to tell their tale. He was diagnosed with a rare, and fatal, cancer in August and has been told he could be dead in a year, or less.
    Mr Liversidge skipped a chemotherapy appointment on Wednesday so he could present his great-grandmother's seven-star Female Relatives Badge and four-star Mothers and Widows Badge to the Australian War Memorial.
    Also on display at the handover were the dog tags worn by his grandfather, Mike (Malcolm) Hutchins, who survived the war.
    ''I have been wearing his dog tags every day since I was diagnosed [with cancer],'' he said. ''I am drawing strength and inspiration from their courage and sacrifice; it is my turn to fight.''
    Mr Liversidge, whose three-year-old daughter is called Matilda in a nod to the Eric Bogle song, wants to see her start school before he dies. ''I'm better than they [the doctors] think,'' he said. ''If I can get another three or four years I'll be happy.''
    He is very conscious of what the four brothers who did not return from the war lost, and also of what their deaths cost their family."
    http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/one-familys-sacrifice-never-to-be-forgotten-20130529-2ncfi.html?stb=fb

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

A difficult but important story, Gordon. I can't imagine what this woman went through. Mr. Liversidge has embarked on a noble quest. I hope he lives long enough to enjoy the fruits of his labor.