Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

British Resistance Base Found Near Selkirk

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Apr 23, 2015.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Knowing my luck, the only way I'll ever find one of these myself is by falling through the badly-rotted roof...
    "A SECRET underground bunker built for anti-Nazi resistance fighters has been unearthed in the Scottish Borders, 70 years after World War Two.
    The base, which was discovered by a British Resistance Archive team near Selkirk, would have been used by civilian spies and saboteurs trained in guerrilla warfare.
    It is made up of a main chamber and a series of escape tunnels that would have been guarded by resistance soldiers.
    The bunker’s precise location is not being revealed, but it is known to be near Lindean Loch in an area that was once thick with trees on “a high plateau with commanding views to open countryside”.
    The researchers who found it said: “Looking west, the town of Selkirk can just be glimpsed, but this is no guarantee it was visible during the operational base’s use and occupation.”
    Wartime records suggest the subterranean base was built around 1941, though it is unlikely even residents of the nearby town would have known of its existence during the conflict."
    http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/heritage/secret-world-war-ii-bunker-discovered-in-selkirk-1-3752250

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Most interesting find indeed. I wonder whether anything was found inside.

3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

So far frames of bunk beds and a water tank, Skip. Hope they get the chance to do a thorough search though.