Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Outgunned Cop Stops Attack in Garland, Texas

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by Smiley 2.0, May 5, 2015.

1. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

You got to give it to this guy. Many lives were saved because of him.

"On one side, you had two men in body armor, toting assault rifles and showing every willingness to open fire now and count their victims later. On the other, you had a security officer -- a traffic officer by day -- with a pistol.
    Somehow, the officer won.
    Authorities have not released the name of the overmatched Garland, Texas, police officer who stopped a pair of gunmen Sunday night outside that city's Curtis Culwell Center, where people had gathered at an event featuring controversial cartoons of the Muslim Prophet Mohammed. But they have described what he did, actions that could be characterized as equal parts skillful, heroic and miraculous.
    U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson lauded the police officer for having "acted quickly and decisively, and thereby likely (saving) a number of innocent lives."
    "He did what he was trained to do," added Garland police spokesman Joe Harn. "And under the fire that he was put under, he did a very good job."
    ISIS threatens attacks against the U.S."
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/05/us/texas-police-shooting-hero/

USS Washington and KodiakBeer like this.
  2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Attached Files:

Otto and Smiley 2.0 like this.
  3. lwd

lwd Ace

I've been thinking much the same. Saying he did a "very good job" is IMO a vast understatement. I'm also wondering if htey really had assault rifles certainly they had rifles/long arms of some sort but if they had automatic weapons that's going to prove quite interesting.

4. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

"Men in body armor." The media always trots this out as if it's a fact. What they are invariably talking about are these nylon vests that hold extra magazines and gear. They aren't armor. They won't stop a bullet. They cost about 15 bucks at your nearest sporting goods store. It's just one of those things that irritate me with today's media. No respect for facts.

That isn't to detract from the truly heroic actions of this cop. He must be one cool customer to go in with a handgun against men with rifles, and damned skilled to kill them both before they could do any real damage.

USS Washington likes this.
  5. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'd let the coroner determine if they had armor on.

6. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

It won't matter what the coroner determines. The media will continue to say he had body armor. They did this with the Aurora shooter and the VA Tech shooter (among others) and they still keep repeating this long after the facts are known. It's just one of those media things - every rifle is an AK47, every pistol is a Glock and every vest is body armor.

7. lwd

lwd Ace

I remember they kept repeating that an "assault weapon" or even an "assault rifle" was used at Sandy Hook when apparently the only weapon coming close to the former never left the car of the perp and it certainly wasn't the latter.

8. USS Washington

USS Washington Active Member

I hope they gave that officer a medal, thanks to him, there are 2 less scumbag terrorists to worry about.