Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

NEW M1 Carbine

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by harolds, May 6, 2015.

1. harolds

harolds Member

In the latest issue of Guns and Ammo magazine it reports that Inland Manufacturing, one of the original M1 Carbine producers, is coming out with exact recreations of this venerable weapon. These are exact copies of what they made during the war right down to the cartouches. They are making the late-war version with the ramp sight that's adjustable for both windage and elevation. Both the regular carbine and the M1A1 paratrooper version are to be made. MSRP is to be about $1K.

Otto and George Patton like this.
  2. Dave55

Dave55 Member

Nice. Hope they make some Springfields next.

3. Incessant

Incessant New Member

Yes! I am actually looking into purchasing an M1 garand.

4. harolds

harolds Member

Incessant, what type of Garand are you looking to buy?

5. Incessant

Incessant New Member

As close to standard issue WWII spec as possible. Probably Springfield, but it doesn't need to be. In my research I have discovered that an "authentic original" gun does not really exist, but I'm hoping to get one with a WWII period Receiver at least.

6. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

CMP Civilian Marksmanship Program is the answer. You just gotta pay or take your chances. I have an all Springfield Garand with a 5 million serial number...c 1954

7. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

The new M1 Carbines look excellent, and seem very close to the original USGI models. It'll be interesting to see if they deflate the collector's market a bit. We saw that happen up here when a couple distributors began importing the new Auto Ordnance models a few years ago.

However, as far as I know this "Inland" company is not the same Inland that made M1 Carbines during the war. The new Inland is a new, privately funded company.

8. George Patton

An all-original, undicked with Garand will set you back a lot and are difficult to find. Most Garands (indeed, most military surplus guns) were refurbished after the war. This meant that worn parts were swapped out for new ones, damaged stocks were repaired/replaced, finishes were redone, etc. While this kept them in good operating condition, some of the history was lost. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a refurbished gun if you just want a shooter and there's still collector value in one.

You'll find that essentially every Garand - even those built post-war - are "WWII spec". Very few changes were made to the design post-1942, with the most substantial being changing the rear sight from the so-called "lock bar" to the T105 style.

Garands are fine rifles and I highly recommend that you get one. I have an M1D myself -- early Springfield production (May 1942), converted to M1D standard by Springfield c.1950, surplussed to Denmark probably in the 1960s, and saw service with the Danish Army until c.1980.

9. harolds

harolds Member

Right GP! My Garand's receiver was make by Springfield in June of 44-which I think is kinda cool. The barrel and trigger assembly are from different manufacturers. Now Incessant, if you want a real original, as issued, WW2 Garand I would start looking at someplace like Rock Island Auctions. However, be prepared to shell out a whole lot of bread!

10. Incessant

Incessant New Member

I want to actually shot the gun, so I think it would make more sense for me to get a refurb.

I was looking at CMP M1's. (http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/) In my correspondence with them, I was told I cold request a WWII receiver when I order the rifle. No guarantees however, and I would love to have some actual tie to WWII, although the pricing is very reasonable.

11. harolds

harolds Member

Good choice methinks, Incessant! Then if you want to accurize it or some such thing, you won't ruin the collector's value.

GP: I'm surprised that your government allows you to have M1s and carbines!

12. George Patton

The gun laws here aren't as bad as you may think. We do have our fair share of stupid ones -- all semi-auto centerfire rifles limited to 5 rounds, handguns limited to 10 rounds, all pistols with barrels under 4" are prohibited, and you cannot own automatics or automatics converted to semi-auto only (no "Class 3" type license up here).

The M1 Carbine is considered "restricted" (heavily regulated, and treated the same as a handgun) because of its 18" barrel. If it was 0.5" longer, it would be treated as a normal hunting or sporting rifle ("non-restricted"). Before you ask, this doesn't make sense to me either.

The Garand is an interesting one. Its treated as a standard sporting or hunting rifle ("non-restricted") and you just need a license to own one. No registration, no transport permit. In fact, the Garand specifically listed as exempt from the 5 round ammo limit (you can use the proper 8 round enblocs).

13. Allied-vs-Axis

Allied-vs-Axis New Member

That sounds awesome! I personally prefer the M1 Garand, but their is no denying the M1 Carbine is a great carbine. Although I personally would not buy it due to .30 carbine being so hard to find now a days.