We Need Your Help - Become a Site Supporter

For 16 years we've been delivering WWII discussion and research, help support our efforts for the next 16 years. Become a WW2 Forums Patron!

Photo
- - - - -

Is anyone here an Polish WWII expert?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Rusalke

Rusalke

Conscript

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:04 AM

I am looking to fact-check something my grandfather wrote about his time during the Soviet invasion of 1939.

Thank you very much

#2 DoubleBredWW2Grandson

DoubleBredWW2Grandson

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:02 PM

I have many Polish friends that moved here I could ask.

#3 Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson

"The" Rogue of Rogues

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts
  • LocationVernon BC Canada

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:14 PM

None on the members map, sad to say. http://www.ww2f.com/membermap/

It would make it a damn site easier if people would take a moment to add their pin there to take make this sort of query considerably less necessary.

Edited by Fred Wilson, 23 February 2016 - 10:15 PM.

"Never EVER ever Volunteer to Volunteer." End Discussion. "Chilanko Bye."

Stepson of Arthur Ellison Sovereign: See: http://www.members.s...ereign/Art.html
WW2 Bomber Command RCAF Navigator on Lancasters and Wellingtons.

Named after Fred Sutherland of the Dambusters.

"Apple Pie without Cheese is like a Kiss without a Squeeze."

A little Quip from the Nicest Person I have ever Known: My Dad.

#4 HellWarrior

HellWarrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:02 AM

How can we add our pine to the map?

#5 Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson

"The" Rogue of Rogues

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:25 AM

Fwd from Otto:

Once on the Member Map found in our Forums header bar, there is an "Update Location" button on the upper right. It opens a box to update your location.

That will be found, center header left. Enter your address / city / county / country, you can be as specific as you like.

Edited by Fred Wilson, 25 February 2016 - 03:29 AM.

Stepson of Arthur Ellison Sovereign: See: http://www.members.s...ereign/Art.html

#6 Sloniksp

Sloniksp

Ставка

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,217 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:13 AM

I would be happy to translate something in Russian.

Sorry best I can do ;)
The war against Russia will be such that it cannot be conducted in a knightly fashion. This struggle is one of ideologies and racial differences and will have to be conducted with unprecedented, unmerciful and unrelenting harshness. -Adolf Hitler

#7 Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson

"The" Rogue of Rogues

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:41 AM

:bow:  WOW! That's a Forum "News" Topic Header.  :wub:

There were a couple of occasions I could have REALLY used Russian translation help on some "trivial" aka small clarifications  year or so ago.

Please consider:

1. Entering that information in your "My Profile" Overview. Click on your Name, Top Right Corner to get started.

2. Adding that information to your already terrific sig.

PS: I just added you to my Friends list. K? That is one rare honour. Trust me.

Thanks for this - and all! You made my day!

Edited by Fred Wilson, 25 February 2016 - 05:13 AM.

#8 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 24,759 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:51 PM

Actually we do have at least three polish members,   aka  : commissionner  , Roy24 and Cecylia.  

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#9 Diesera

Diesera

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:35 AM

Polish Cavalry was only still active during 1930s out for nostalgia reasons for Poland-Lithuania.

Polish people have mixed relation with the nations on her borders during at world war ii. 

Edited by Diesera, 05 June 2016 - 10:39 AM.

#10 lwd

lwd

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,249 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:41 AM

Polish Cavalry was only still active during 1930s out for nostalgia reasons for Poland-Lithuania.

One needs to be careful of statements like this.  Certainly Polish horse cavalry proved itself useful several times during the German invasion and horse cavalry was used more extensively than many believe on the Eastern Front during the war and at times proved itself very useful indeed.  Then there's the transition form horses to armored vehicles for use as cavalry. 

#11 Biak

Biak

Adjutant

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:38 PM

lwd, Maybe you could provide a few examples and links. I think Diesera would appreciate it.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

Mark Twain

#12 lwd

lwd

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,249 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:01 PM

Didn't a unit of Polish cavalry over run and pretty much destroy a German infantry unit of approximately the same size?  I seem to recall other incidents from the war but it's been a while since I read them.  The tactical mobility of cavalry units was useful again from what I recall reading in both the Polish campaign and indeed on the Eastern front in general.  Horse cavalry units could move over terrain that wasn't passible by vehicles of the period.  Then there's the problem in how you define "cavalry" for instance the US still has cavalry units but starting a bit prior to WWII armored vehicles began replacing horses.

A quick google found these:

https://en.wikipedia...in_World_War_II

The Polish campaign of September 1939 counted fifteen significant cavalry actions.[29] Two were pure fast cavalry charges with spears and sabres, others were fought on foot.[29][68] The Poles claimed twelve victories, including successful breakout attempts.[29] The most striking Battle of Mokra pitted the Wołyńska Cavalry Brigade headlong against the 4th Panzer Division with 295 tanks.[69] The Poles repelled waves of tank and infantry attacks for two days, giving the Germans "a bloody drubbing

Other links of possible interest:

http://militaryhisto...cond-world-war/

http://www.lonesentr...ticles/cavalry/

http://www.lonesentr...es/germanhorse/

http://www.militaryh...my/cavalry.aspx

All in all an interesting subject and more complex than many would think at first glance.  I'm far from an expert in the area by the way but it does look to me like a bit more than nostalgia was involved.

#13 knightdepaix

knightdepaix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:40 PM

My post this time is about history: did any planning or whatnots about Józef Piłsudski's Prometheism or Intermarium projects take place ?

#14 wm.

wm.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSilesia Inferior

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:56 PM

The Polish Cavalry wasn't about charges. It was fast, mobile infantry. Its main role was to stop enemy operational and strategic penetrations till the the more capable forces would arrive; infantry, artillery.

They knew there would be penetrations,  the Polish border with Germany/USSR was very long and impossible to defend. So the (fast) cavalry brigades were tasked with halting them for a short time, giving the other (slower) divisions time to react.

They weren't going to do it with lances and sabers - they were mostly ceremonial things, but with rifles, machines guns, anti-tank guns and artillery. 

I've read, this scenario, in that case stopping a Panzer division was wargamed during military exercises in 1938, I don't know successfully or not...

Poland had over 800 tanks, tankettes, armored cars - they couldn't afford more without destroying their economy. It wasn't nostalgia but cold economic calculation. 

Edited by wm., 01 July 2016 - 11:41 PM.

#15 wm.

wm.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSilesia Inferior

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:04 PM

My post this time is about history: did any planning or whatnots about Józef Piłsudski's Prometheism or Intermarium projects take place ?

Poland was a desperately poor country, destroyed by partitions, the WW1, the Great Depression. They couldn't afford any grandiose plans like Prometheism. So it was all talk and no action. They wrote articles, books, disseminated information about the USSR. 

Later, as the Polish-Soviet relations improved even these activities stopped. 

Edited by wm., 01 July 2016 - 10:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users