Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Colorado Internment Camp

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by KJ Jr, May 18, 2015.

1. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Smiley 2.0 likes this.
  2. Natman

Natman Member

I noticed a tiny sign along US Hwy. 50 saying "Amache" last December while on my way to the midwest. Looked it up at my sisters and after reading about what it referred to, stopped on the way home. I wasn't aware there were any internment camps in Colorado. It was easy to find and there is a small parking area with numerous kiosks (which look to be fairly new) that explain the history and provide photos. You can drive around the camp and as the article indicates, it is mostly overgrown with sage. It was a good breather from driving and I'm glad I stopped, it showed me a part of Colorado history that I was completely unaware of.

Here's a link to their website, although it seems a bit outdated: http://www.amache.org/

The book referred to in the article, "Amache: The Story of Japanese Internment in Colorado During World War II" is available at many university and public libraries in Colorado (including my local one) and other locations.

Thanks for posting this.

3. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

It sure is good to know that there are people such as these, like John Hopper, are doing what they can to keep these kinds of things from fading.

4. mac_bolan00

mac_bolan00 Member

sorry, so basically, what did internees do? were there jobs for them in or outside the camps? what about schools?

5. Natman

Natman Member

6. mac_bolan00

mac_bolan00 Member

thanks. making a self-sufficient community in just three years with surplus agricultural produce --and a high school football team that lost only once in 3 years, is remarkable.