Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New film about Conscientious Objector and Medal of Honor recipient Desmond Doss coming out soon.

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by A-58, May 24, 2015.

1. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I've read in the latest issue of Military History Magazine that Mel Gibson is producing a film about the WW2 CO and MoH recipient Desomond Thomas Doss's exploits while assigned as a combat medic in the 77th Infantry Division during the Okinawa Campaign. During his military career Doss also received the Bronze Star and three Purple Hearts while refusing to carry a weapon or kill. Doss will be played by actor Andrew Garfield, and it is scheduled for a 2016 release in the theaters. Pass the popcorn!

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Hacksaw Ridge is slated for a 2016 release. Mel Gibson, his personal issues aside, is a helluva film maker. This should be an interesting film. While I had to roll my eyes when I saw another "pretty boy" casting choice, Andrew Garfield does have more than a slight resemblance to Desmond Doss.

3. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I met Mr. Doss several times, a really humble and devoutly religious man. He lived Rising Fawn, Ga. near here for many years. I think he was also strongly affiliated with the Seventh Day Adventist Church in nearby Collegedale, Tn. It was a big deal when he died several years back and they buried him in the Chattanooga National Cemetary. He's in good company, as a number of Andrews Raider's, the first Medal of Honor receipients are buried there.

[​IMG]

rkline56 and green slime like this.
  4. edhunter76

edhunter76 Member

Oh, I'm very excited about this already for two reasons. First, Mr.Doss's story is very, very interesting and secondly Gibson is making a "comeback" to directing. He has directed nothing but very strong stories, so really looking forward to this.

Otto likes this.
  5. Terry D

Terry D Well-Known Member

I saw a documentary about Doss a few years back, and he was a truly unusual individual. His outfit, the 77th Division, was originally based in New York and many of Doss' buddies were typical mid-century New York City tough guys. Doss was a highly religious man from the rural South and his buddies couldn't understand him at all, but they had all come to respect and admire him even before he won the Medal of Honor on Okinawa.

Doss certainly deserves another good film, but I am not sure if Gibson is the man for it. He is very talented as both an actor and a director, but he has behaved more than a little oddly in recent years. I hope he can pull the film and himself together.

6. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Odd behavior from a Hollywood type is not odd at all.

7. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

According to imdb this movie is set for release some time in 2016, so it is still being made.

8. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

9. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Does look good.

10. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Gibson has said in recent interviews that the current stable of movies from Hollywood have been "a piece of sh#t"...So he's still got his head screwed on...(he was recently in Australia).
    Im looking forward to it...the trailer I saw was mind blowing! Lots of bodies flying around...bit like a commando magazine brought to life...half expecting some AAAgghhh! s and some AAIEEEE! s..."Take that you yellow devil!"
    This man sounds like a true legend...more evidence that true male courage doesn't come from the end of a gun.
    Australia/New Zealand has a similar hero...Simpson and his donkey, from WW1.

11. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Trailers are sometimes deceiving, but it looks as if it could be a visually stunning film. I really like the slo-mo, overhead closeup of the machine gun at 2:08 in the trailer. :tommygun:

12. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Yes...hoping for a new take on a war movie...modern camera angles, and slow mo's....

13. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

"Bloody Sam" Peckinpah was the master and originator of the slo-mo's.

CAC likes this.
  14. Owen

Owen O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_V6h6EJh9c

Otto, Dave55 and Slipdigit like this.
  15. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Wish I was half the man.

16. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Owen,

Thanks for finding and posting the video. Mr. Doss seemed almost embarrassed by the fuss made over him. I've no doubt he was a kind, gentle man.

17. Slipdigit

You got that right and I feel the same way.

18. Slipdigit

Went to see Hacksaw Ridge tonight. It was a good movie, VERY graphic. From what I had already read and seen about Desmond Doss, it stayed fairly close to the truth in most things.

I had a few issues with the first part of the movie, during basic training, which I think was the result of trying to compress the story to fit in a reasonably long film. They left out his actions on Guam & Leyte, I think also in the interest of time, but painted the company as being green by they time the entered the fight on Okinawa.

The combat scenes were very graphic, on par or worse than the beach assault in SPR or the Battle of Okinawa scenes in The Pacific.

All in all, good movie 9/10

19. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

It's next on my matinee list. Went to see Deepwater Horizon the other day. Pretty good flick too.

20. Slipdigit

I need to watch Deep Water Horizon, also.