Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Yanks in The Air

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by GRW, Jun 3, 2015.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

This definitely looks worth reading!
    "They were a bunch of misfits who counted a makeup artist, a Mormon and a New York City taxi driver among their number.
    But this group of unlikely airmen effectively founded the 'Special Relationship' between Britain and America when they volunteered to fight for the UK against the Germans in 1940 during WWII.
    Their unit, 71 'Eagle' Squadron began the thawing of relations between the two countries that had lingered since the War of Independence by signing up for the Royal Air Force even though America had forbidden it.
    A new book describes the men as a 'crew of primitive cowboys' who were ill-disciplined, refused to pledge their allegiance to The King and were obsessed with sex.
    Among the first wave of mavericks - almost all of whom died - was Mike Kolendorski who threw empty beer bottles out of his cockpit on German installations as he flew over them.
    But two years before Pearl Harbor these were the men who became some of the most deadly fighters aces in WWII and shot down dozens of German planes.
    Their exploits are described in the new book 'Yanks in the RAF', a vivid account of Eagle Squadron's brief existence by military historian David Alan Johnson.
    The story began in 1940 when Americans were banned from fighting with the Allies because of the US Neutrality Act, which kept America out of the war until Pearl Harbor in December the following year.
    But that did not stop hundreds of adventurers from making their way across the Canadian border - dodging FBI agents on the way - and venturing on to Britain.
    The men were recruited by Colonel Charles Sweeny, a wealthy American businessman with family connections in London whose plan was to make a version of the French Air Force, l'Armee de l'Air."
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3109647/The-Americans-fight-Nazis-revealed-unlikely-band-including-taxi-driver-make-artist-risked-arrest-authorities-join-Britain-s-air-force-1939-end-150-years-frosty-relations.html#ixzz3c3Kv6LR3

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Read a great book on these guys...cool logo too...

3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Should actually be "Yanks in the RAF". Hit the enter button too quick...

4. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Looks like I found my next addition to the personal library. Thanks for posting this Gordo.

When the Eagle Squadrons were handed over to the USAAF in 1942, did all the pilots have to go too, or could they opt to stay with the RAF?

5. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Good question...there was a bit of politics involved. From memory they had to go...and sit the test even. They werent officially flying in the first place and took time to be legitimised. Also the US pilot scheme didnt make you a sergeant pilot and paid much more moula than the RAF counterparts, sooo...wouldnt you go? I think most preffered to fly for the US...once it was legit.

6. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I figure many if not most would go, but I have a little bit more loyalty in me and would be hesitant to leave the people who gave me a chance to fight and fly. Money is fine, but nobody goes into a uniform service expecting to get rich, especially during a war, but that's just me. I'd stay.

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I have a memory of the pilots being a little reluctant to leave their spitfires/hurricanes...for? P-40s? P-51Bs? Big ole Razor backs...

8. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I think that they took their Spits with them. Later they got P-51s Cs or Ds, whichever ones that were equipped with the Rolls Royce engines. I do remember seeing pictures of Spitfires painted up in USAAF colors and roundels before. Looked a bit strange if you know what I mean.

9. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

The book came in the other day and so far it's been a great read I might add. Well written and full of information that I was not aware of. Most could be categorized as trivia, but for a trivia nut like me it's very enlightening. Can't wait until the movie comes out!