Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The US and Australia Talisman

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by CAC, Jul 2, 2015.

1. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

2. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Yes, over the last couple years the Marine Corps has been running a lot of troops through Australia for training. Here's a good video of 1/5 training there last summer. I know two Marines deployed to Australia right now. It's a good rotation and it's good to train with our Australian brothers. If the balloon goes up in the Pacific region, the U.S. Marines and Australian's fighting side by side, I pity their enemies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBZUa7q5DtQ

CAC likes this.
  3. von_noobie

von_noobie Member

Slight off topic, But with the USMC/Navy lacking ships till fill there requirements what do you reckon the likely hood is of Marines being stationed on the HMAS Choules, Canberra and Adelaide? Between those 3 ships they can carry over 2,400 standard (3,900 overload) but with us only training up 650 troops they will have a lot of room that I imagine the Marines would make use of?

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Looks like the dry season, a distinct lack of water, and lack,of cloud...perfect dry season day. Love to see a Marine (or a southerner) try this in the wet...hehe...
    To be fair, they are training for dry arid environments, so the dry up here is more accurate anyway....IMO

And before anyone says anything...I know a gazillion marines fought in Vietnam where their wet is as draining as ours...so proof right there they can hack it...

5. Carronade

Carronade Ace

We often see different countries' amphibious troops operating on each others' ships in exercises like Talisman, and I imagine there will be some of that. Most likely familiarization, so they could work together if necessary. I wouldn't expect to see US Marines regularly deployed on Aussie ships.

The article mentioned Choules, wonder if Canberra will be involved?

6. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

They train in jungle environments all the time you have the Jungle School on Okinawa, my brother was actually an instructor there back when it was known as the Northern Training Area. Plus, you have the joint training with partner nations, like we're doing in Australia.

Here's just some of the wet, jungle environment they're training in now. One good thing about a MEU, you get to sail to different places and train in different environments.

Jungle Warfare School Okinawa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44wEXfKRu30

We have Cobra Gold with the Thai's every year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft239l6q5rU

They have also been in jungle exercises in the Phillipines and Belize (The Phillipines one is an annual exercise).

7. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I may or may not be in a position to know (though if I were or were not I could neither admit nor deny that I was or wasn't) that there may or may not be elements of the US Army National Guard which may or may not be taking part is said Operation.

But you didn't hear that from me.

8. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I may or may not understand that...

9. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

That's okay. I won't tell anyone.

10. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Wouldn't surprise me as there have been Army and Air Force detatchments involved in all previous Talisman Sabers. This year Japan Defense Forces and New Zealand military forces are involved also.

11. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

12. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Hey! Thats a classic territory 'whirly whirly'! Grew up with those...but difficult to tell people about...thanks for posting...