Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

88th Inf. Div.; 313th Medical Battalion

Discussion in 'North Africa and the Mediterranean' started by Edwardo, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Edwardo

Edwardo New Member

I know this is a long shot. My Dad served with the 313th Medical Battalion, 88th Inf. Div., training in north Africa, landing in Naples, and serving in Italy throughout the Division's advance up the boot, including some months of occupational duty after the war was over around Lake Garda (sp?). I'm trying to find out which particular unit he was in and to trace his travels through Italy. He was a Tech 5/corporal in a forward medical unit; I'd like to know which unit/hospital designation. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

You can get a reasonably priced copy of the official history of the 88th Infantry Division online. Though it won't give you the specificity you are looking for, it will give the big picture of what the 88th did in WWII.

Regarding your specific goal, you should request his OMPF (Official Military Personnel File) from the NARA. If you have already done that, your next best option is to hire a researcher to track your father through his service. That route can be expensive, but will probably give you most of the information you are seeking.

3. Edwardo

Edwardo New Member

Thanks, I ordered the book and will look into getting Dad's records.

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Let us know how it goes with the NARA. If you get a letter from the NARA saying his records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, you pretty much have no choice but to go the researcher route. Several of the members here (myself included) have hired researchers, so let us know if you would like recommendations.