Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

431st Coast Artillery Battalion-James J. McGinley

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Nurse3212, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Nurse3212

Nurse3212 New Member

Hello all,

My name is James K. I am joining the forum in the interest of finding out information about my grandfather/Pop-pop James J. McGinley "Slumps" from Jim Thorpe (previously known as Mauch Chunk), Pennsylvania. He died in 2005.

I just recently received the records of his discharge from the National Archives. He served in the 431st Coast Artillery Battalion AA AW according to his discharge. From what I have read so far it appears that he was in C company. I have found and began to read the "three years overseas" book that has been posted on the forum. He is noted on page 24 as one of the members injured when a 2 1/2 ton truck hit a teller mine in Tunisia (as the story goes, the Army attempted to charge him for the cost of the truck upon discharge). We were aware of this story and he was awarded a purple heart for the incident. This book has granted me a ton of information and I am thankful for the group that posted it. The first couple paragraphs seem to sum up all of the stories that we have ever heard (..."and the 431st was made up of one hundred percent characters.")

I also have about 20 pictures that we have found of him and his unit throughout the war. I just wanted to make contact the forum and determine the next spot I should post to find out more information or share what I have already learned. Admins, it you could point me in the right direction, that would be great!

Thank you,
    James

2. Natman

Natman Member

Welcome to the forum, James. One of the admin folks with the necessary "powers" will be along shortly and get things squared away.

Looking forward to reading about your grandfather and seeing photos of him and his unit.

Steve

3. Rob128146

Rob128146 New Member

Welcome!!

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Welcome to the Forum, James. The main page of the Forum, ww2f.com, shows the Forum sections and subsections. Beneath the title of each sub-section is a brief description. In most cases, this will help you determine where to post your Topic.

The section Those Who Served is all about our veterans. If you would like to relate stories you have heard from your grandfather, you can post them in What Granddad Did in the War. If you are seeking help in researching your grandfather's WWII service, then you can post your inquiry in Military Service Records and Genealogical Research. Questions that are more general WWII questions can be posted in Information Requests under General Discussion.

If you would like to do a more formal presentation of his life and service, I would suggest the Roll of Honor & Memories - WWII Obituaries.

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

If you open an account at one of the image hosting sites like Photobucket or ImageShack, it's easy to put your pictures in a post. You can start a new thread in What Grandad did in the War. BTW, welcome to the forum.

As usual, Tommy squeaked in ahead of me. I'm not a very fast typist.

6. Ruud

Ruud Member

Welcome James.