Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How do I trace details of what my great grandfather did within war serving in merchant navy

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by paulh629, Sep 1, 2015.

1. paulh629

paulh629 New Member

HI All,

Recently like many I was moved by a story I was told by my grandfather about his dad. Now my grandfather had never spoke of this before, and his memory was not that great. What was clear was that he was desperate to know what his father did during the war as he only had snippets of info. I have never researched anything of this nature before and need a real steer from someone please.

I have found out the following thus far.

His name was Arthur Oswald Harris born 01/08/1896. He was in the merchant navy and was master ( Captain) of a number of ships, one was called Bransfield which he sailed to a port during the war and exploded it to block in other vessels. My granddad recalls this may have been a Norwegian whale ship and may of used a sister ships name to enter the port undiscovered.

On the internet I have found a medal listing for this man with a discharge number S21339. Through National archives I can retrieve data for £3.30 but unsure what this actually is or would inform me of.

Sadly my great grandfather died at sea age 48 on the 30th March 1945 on a ship called High Tide. My granddad does not know how this happened he did not even know his late grand parents names of William Henry and Hannah Louisa Harris. When I told him this it moved him to tears. If someone on this forum can assist I would be eternally greatful and I know it would stick with my grandfather for the rest of his days to know about his father. I too am clearly interested to find out more about this heroic fellow. Is there also any route to trace a photo of him or any of the ships mentioned??? Again this would mean the world.

Many thanks all I appreciate the help I am a total novice

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

paulh629 likes this.
  3. McCabe

McCabe Active Member

Two names of men who also lost their lives when the High Tide went down:

http://www.naval-history.net/xDKCasAlpha1939-45Fa.htm

FELTHAM, Frederick Francis, 1st Engineer, (civilian), High Tide, 30 March 1945, ship loss, MPK
    FOTHERINGHAM, James, Act/Able Seaman, C/JX 534466, High Tide, 30 March 1945, ship loss, MPK

*MPK apparently is short for "Missing/Presumed Killed"

paulh629 likes this.
  4. paulh629

paulh629 New Member

This is excellent thank you a good start. Its harder than I thought this but very interesting. What does floundered mean???

5. lwd

lwd Ace

6. joeytri

joeytri New Member

The National Archives has records you can search, I help this helps. More info at

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/

and

https://heroanswers.org/279/how-do-i-trace-a-veterans-service-in-the-navy