Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Was Hitler Jewish

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by VYACHESLAV, Feb 25, 2003.

1. VYACHESLAV

VYACHESLAV Member

I always heard that someone in Hitler's family was Jewish. I could never find out who because some books say it was his grandfather other say it was his father. Do you know?

2. DUCE

DUCE Member

In a book called Hitler: A Study in Tyranny (I forget who wrote it) they go back to the actual origins of Hitler as a last name. In it they say that it is possible that it was actually his great-grandmother who was Jewish, but there are limited documents and many are fake. It also explains how it Hitler is actually derived from something else...but, again, I can't remember what :rolleyes:

Hope I've been of some help,

Il DUCE

3. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

There is the slight possibility that someone in Hitler's part was part Jewish. This is by no mean likely or for that matter relevant, ie Stalin was Russian ans he killed countless Russians. (OK Stalin was Georgian but you get the idea.)

Oh, and the last name was schikelgruber or smething similar.

4. No.9

No.9 Ace

5. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

' Hitler : A Study In Tyranny ' was written by Alan Bullock.

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Found this on the Hitler´s Jewish background:

The two scholars who have examined this question most thoroughly, Ian Kershaw and Brigitte Hamann, have both definitively laid to rest the tired old rumors about Hitler's alleged Jewish blood.

7. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Personally I find this to be a rather sick anti-semitic rumour (Hitler hated jews because he was jewish and so on). To expand on what Kai just said, the story goes that Hitlers grandmother worked for a Jewish family as a servant and apparently Hitlers father (Alois Shickelgruber, he changed his name to Hitler after his mothers Husband). The problem with that is that there was no Jewish family for whom she could have worked, Jews having been banned from the area of Austria for many years. There is a second story, that Alois Shickelgruber was the son of a Jewish tramp who happened to be in the area at the time. To the best of my knowledge there are few documents to support this and it seems to me to be mainly a case of saying 'Hitler must have had a Jewish grandfather, there was a Jewish tramp in the area therefore he must be Hitlers grandfather' which is rediculous and bad history.

8. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

No, he was not Jewish at all. That is an urban myth as well as that that he only had one testicle... According to professor Ian Kershaw from Sheffield University of England, who wrote the best of Hitler's biographies he was not Jewish at all.

There were several and of course, false theories about Hitler's Jewish roots. Because Maria Anna Schicklgruber (mother of Alois Hitler) was a single mother and Hitler's grandfather's identity is still unknown.

During the 1920s and 1930s, the opposition press published several rumours that Hitler was Jewish, telling that he came form a Jewish family named Hitler from Bucharest and even that Alois was son of baron Rothschild, because Maria Anna had supposedly worked as maid at his house...

But the most serious theory is one elaborated by Hans Frank, the governor of Poland, who had made some research by Hitler's orders and that wrote his theories during his captivity in Nuremberg. he suggested that Maria Anna Schicklgruber gave birth to a child when she was working as a maid in a Jewish family's house in Graz. He said that Mr. Frankenberger (the lord of the house) had even paid some bills for the child's support using his 19-year-old son, since the child's birth until he was 14. Frank even said that Maria Anna and the Frankenbergers exchanged letters some years after... But according to Kershaw's investigation there was no family named Frankenberger in Graz during the 1830s. Actually, there was not a single Jew living in Estiria at that time, because they were only allowed to live in that area until the 1860s... There was indeed a family named Frankenreiter, but they were not Jewish. Also, there is no possibility that Maria Anna could have ever been in Graz and even less that she would have been the cooker of a butcher named Leopold Frankenreiter, who was a very poor man and could not afford a cooker and even less, the support of a child... Besides, there has never been found any mail between Maria Anna Schicklgruber and anyone called Frankenreiter...

That is what I call FACTS! :eek:

9. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Cheers Herr General, I think it is important to dispel these rediculous myths particularly when you consider the fact that they are being taught in secondary schools as part of A-Level history. I couldent believe it when my History teacher tried to tell me it was a valid theory even after I dumped Hubris on her desk and asked her what she thought. Rediculous.

10. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

You are quite right, Stefan. Thanks! I always have had several problems with that kind of teachers. Fortunately, now that I am a History teacher myself I will try to be a good one! ;)

And by the way, I forgot to write my source:

Kershaw, Ian, "Hitler 1889-1936", Allen Lane-The Penguin Press, London, 1998.

11. VYACHESLAV

VYACHESLAV Member

Thanks to all of you

In US majority of people (educated) think that Hitler had some Jewish blood.

If you ever watched an HBO movie about Germans solving the Jewish problem, there is a scene where they talking about Hitler's father being a jew.

I would imagine that it was Left wingers who got that idea after Hitler named jews as sub humans.

[ 27. February 2003, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: VYACHESLAV ]

12. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Herr General, you wouldent like to come and teach history over here? My teacher is ok but WW2 is not her hottest topic and it gets annoying having to correct her. Ahh well...

By the way, Kershaw also approaches the issue in Hubris.

13. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

A full time job? :rolleyes: I don't think they'll hire an 18-year-old boy without an University degree for History teacher!

However, I convinced my old school director and teachers that I could teach History and since September of this year I will teach some 30 hours a week of Universal Modern History (1789-2003) to some 500 15-17-year-old people! :eek: I must be unsane... :D