Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Name your poison!

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by A-58, Oct 27, 2015.

1. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I got this idea for a thread from the Indian Motorcycle Forum the other day. Be it booze or brew, pour it out here, with all the reasons that it makes you call for it from your trusty barkeep. Thought that it might work over here too. Something light should do the thing since some threads seems to be polarizing a bit.

Anyhoo, my favorite adult beverage is draught beer, the colder the better. Dark beer, lagers, pilsners, schmilzners and whatever else the ales you, draw me a big one and I'l pour it down the pie hole. Won't complain a bit. At least for the first one that is. Sometimes I'll visit a new watering hole that is set up with multiple taps to choose from. I usually start on the right and work my way to the left, skipping over the tried and true big name brews. Tried switching to scotch, bourbon, rum, whiskey and other spirits once in an attempt to be more healthy in my approach to consumption of alcoholic beverages, but never could quite get used to sipping them slowly. Decided that it was too dangerous, especially when sitting on barstools without a backrest, so back to the good stuff! I've also found that draught beers make for the best hangovers as well. And yes, I enjoy the entire experience.

So, what's your favorite?

2. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

3. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Warsteiner

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I don't drink. Does Coca-Cola or iced tea count?

5. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

If that's what you pour down the pie hole when relaxing either alone or with friends it does.

green slime likes this.
  6. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Guinness.
    I like it.

7. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I'm a bourbon drinker. I don't have a favorite, anything over 10 years in wood will do. Lately, I've been drinking Elijah Craig, a 12 year old bourbon. Good bourbon is sippin' whiskey. It starts sweet, that's the corn, then you get get little flavors popping up, all different in old bourbons. Depending on the brand you may get faint notes of licorice, fruit flavors; blackberry, cherry, pears, maybe a hint of honey - then that turns into woody flavors drawn from the oak and harder to describe, but broader flavors bordering on dry, and then depending on how much rye is in the mix you should get a long dry finish like black pepper. When that's gone, it's time for another sip.

The longer the bourbon is in wood, the more distinct the flavors. I have no use for cheap bourbons - they're better used to strip paint. Stuff like Jim Beam is only in wood for 4 years and has no character at all. You can mix it with Coke if you just want to get mellow, but it won't stand up sipped from a glass by itself.

A-58 likes this.
  8. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Well, after "The Incident" back in 72', I tapered off on Pabst Blue Ribbon and went to an occasional beer now and then.
    When I'm really feeling like relaxing I like 2 ice cubes smothered with good Scotch. I've also taken a liken to a Gin&Tonic every-so-often. Come to think about it, there's a few inches left in the bottle of Black Label sitting on the shelve.

Be back in a bit.

9. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I like my brown licker' (Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, George Dickel, Evan Williams), but it don't like me, makes me mean. I now only drink it occasionally. Love draught beer, make me a happy drunk, and can usually drink for quite extended periods. Used to really like Tequila, but I occasionally suffer blackouts when drinking it, and do really, really stupid things, so I don't drink it often anymore.

10. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

After watching M.A.S.H. all of my life, my drink of choice has become a gin martini.

But most of the time I am like Lou and think a glass of ice tea can't be beat.

11. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Tried a Black and Blonde? Guinness over Tin Roof Blonde Ale. Keeps the Irish from getting their panties all twisted up when you order a Black and Tan in Ireland.

12. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

In alcohol terms I was made for Tequila, and not this slamming nonsense - swoosh it around and taste the petrol.
    Gimme a bottle of Patron, a fire and some mates: as content as a slurring content thing.
    However... as I suspect the only physiology that can truly stand day-to-day tequila consumption without eventually going non-functioning batshit crazy is found mostly south of the US border, I restrict myself largely to Vodka, preferably something half-decent like Absolut or Zubrowka, but I'm leery of the £30+ varieties; like everything else, Vodka can be rough, but I feel at the higher end there is a plateau where only the oily texture really gradually improves. I would, however, take any rough variety over the blandness of Smirnoff.

TVR or White Russians for special occasions, or anything mixed by my mate Bod, who is some kind of booze savant, though for some puzzling reason I cannot recall the names of his classic approaches to cocktails.

And Port, frankly the more expensive the better. Maybe sad, but true that there is a direct correlation between price and delight in that arena.

Other than that; yeah, what have you got? I'll give it a go. Unless it came from some Serbian's dustbin still and is served in a crumpled Evian bottle. Not doing that again... Only thing I ever had that tasted exactly the same no matter what you mixed it with. Rubbish at Gin too; makes me wake up at 4am feeling like death.

A-58 likes this.
  13. GRW

Aren't there laws against heresy?!
    I believe there's a Guinness Blonde American Lager, but obviously haven't tried it.

Used to love Wisnewski's Cherry flavoured Vodka. Neat, of course.
    One of my old haunts in Edinburgh used to stock it. Place used to be filled with shelves full of Dick Francis novels and pics of Derby winners and jockeys.
    Think it's a Mexican restaurant now or some such blasphemy.

14. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Heresy, concerning drinking here in America? The birth AND death place of Prohibition? I think not. Never heard of that Guinness Blonde American Lager before. Maybe they sell that swill in Australia, made only for export like Fosters. I do like Fosters. Those big oil cans go down well. Good thing they only come 9 to a case.

15. GRW

16. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

[​IMG]

Really? Are Brits and Euros still enamored with these two? No wonder Guinness sales and stock is going down.

17. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

Try a shot of Glenlivet over a scoop of top quality Vanilla Ice Cream after dinner sometime when you are feeling really relaxed.
    Shaking your head in disbelief? You will be when you try it. Yum!

Glenlivet. No substitutions.
    Top Quality Vanilla Ice Cream. No substitutions.

18. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

I'm surely not a teetotaler , but there are very few occasions when I drink alcohol these days! My favourite poison is a good Single Malt, with a preference for Islay's. Port Ellen is a dream come true, but unfortunately I finished my last bottle I had bought for a crazy price. The price you have to pay nowadays for a Port Ellen being definitely out of my price range. I am not a big beer drinker, but I quite like the Pilsener type from Brasserie Simon from Wiltz http://www.brasseriesimon.lu/. Then of course all the belgian special beers, but all in all I would dare to say that I drink about eight to ten beers a year. When it comes to wine I only drink it with meals, and only when we have guests, I don't have a clearcut preference if it is red, white or rosé, it depends on what we have for food. One thing though, I can't find anything about the french wines, red and rosé I always choose Chilean, Argentinian, sometimes Portugease of Spanish as well as Aussie stuff. For the white I generally stay with the local Moselle wines, some Germans are also quite nice.
    Voilà! Chin-chin!

19. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

What incident is that?

20. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

A Paul's Iced Coffee...