Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Looking for dramatic pictures for book launch

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by IanLahey, Nov 6, 2015.

1. IanLahey

IanLahey New Member

Hello there. Looking for some WWII pictures I can use for the release of my book on minesweeping in post WWII Italy. Free copy and credit to the first 3 chosen images. Pm or reply to this post. Thank you!

Ian Lahey

2. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

Wellington Minesweeper. Not many large image sized to choose from...
    Edit - will check tomorrow to ensure there is no copyright on these.

Larger than 1074 X 768 Images

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Larger than 800 X 600 Image

[​IMG]

Larger than 640 X 480 Image

[​IMG]

3. Fred Wilson

Not WW2, but all too common for one of the most hazardous trades in the war.

South Korean mine sweeper #512 blows up in Wonsan Harbor, Korea during the Korean War. October 24, 1950

National Archives (NARA FILE #: 80-G-423625)

There is a 3,000 × 2,400 pixels image of this at: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ROKS_YMS-516_explosion_2.JPEG

[​IMG]

4. Fred Wilson

5. Takao

Takao Ace

Umm Fred,

He's looking for pictures to use in his book. It would be helpful to provide source(copyright) information as to the owner of the photos.

For example, the SK minesweeper photo is well-known, and is from the National Archives(NARA FILE #: 80-G-423625)

6. Fred Wilson

I assumed he would do a high res artists rendition, perhaps combining images with pertinent situations.
    None of these are high enough resolution for a book cover. Publishers demand at least 1 Mb, usually wanting 5 Mb or larger.

7. IanLahey

IanLahey New Member

Weeeeoow! Impressive pictures!

I don't plan on using the pictures in the book, at least not in this edition, although one or two of them may be used in the cover art (even for an artist rendition, as you said). Others will be in the book website and facebook blog pre and post-launch. I would not ask for freebies if I meant to use them in the book itself, that wouldn't be very correct. As I said, the images provided are all impressive and there have been a lot rolling in already, so I'll probably need my editor's help to check them all out and nominate the winners of the free copies. The story itself is set in and around Anzio, and, thanks to my dad's notes and research, digs under the surface to show the scars and bleeding still alive in Italian and U.S. WWII veterans and their families. I hope we have it ready by Christmas.

Edit: if you own the originals, Fred, I will still need you to grant me permission, in written form, to use them as you are the owner. if not, please check that they really are royalty free. Thank you.

8. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Been doing some digging Fred, not coming up with many statistics. How effective were they?

9. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

When I see "mine sweeping" I also think of those in the dirt as well as those in the water. You never specified in your initial post if you were looking for one or the other. Are you looking for images of land mines, sea mines, or both?

10. IanLahey

IanLahey New Member

Well, land mines especially, but definitely not just mines. The characters in the book bring back memories of Monte Cassino and the Gustav line, of Clarke's entrance in Rome and, of course, the fighting in Anzio, but pics about WWII in Italy in general are fine.

11. ETO Buff

ETO Buff New Member

12. ETO Buff

ETO Buff New Member

13. ETO Buff

ETO Buff New Member

14. Fred Wilson

"I had no idea a landmine could do this much damage."

"Three hundred fascist insurgents were killed in this explosion in Madrid, Spain, under the five-story Casa Blanca building, on March 19, 1938.
    Government loyalists tunneled 600 yards over a six-month period to lay the land mine that caused the explosion. (AP Photo) #" # ???

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/ww2_1/w14_70319030.jpg and another number of sites, found on image search such as:

[​IMG]

15. IanLahey

IanLahey New Member

Great stuff! Been getting lots of material, but I can only use pics to which you you own rights to (editor requires a signed release).