Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Flak tower

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Kai-Petri, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Above some examples, I think the first is from Vienna (?)

The Berlin Flak Towers

The three gigantic Flak towers were built in Berlin and were 130 ft high and took six months to build Each had its accompanying smaller command tower nearby.

The Flaktürme are, even in their present partly demolished and buried state, awesome buildings. They were a strange, but effective concept of modern fortress. Anti-aircraft gun platform, radar tower, observation post, hospital, air raid shelter, museum artefact depository, communication centre and after the war hostels for the homeless and DP's, displaced persons.

They provided excellent observation posts during the last days of the war as the Soviet forces encircled Berlin.

They were garrisoned by 100 Hitler Youth Luftwaffenhlfer commanded by experienced Luftwaffe Officers and NCO's of Flakturm-Abtilung 123.

NB Sometimes the main tower is referred to as the Geschützturm, lit. gun tower or turret.

The Gefechtsturm or G-Turm (lit. "Battle Tower") was a light and heavy calibre anti-aircraft gun platform with ammunition magazine. Parts of the tower were designated as shelter for the civilian population during air raids
    The smaller Leitturm or L-Turm (lit. "Lead Tower") was the Command Centre and housed on the roof retractable radar for direction finding and ranging linked to the aniti-aircraft guns. It also housed important communication equipment. Also armed with anti-aircraft guns.

Lower parts of the towers were designated as shelter for the civilian population during air raids and it is said that up to18000 could shelter within.

After the war, under the terms of the surrender, the Flaktowers were required to be destroyed as they were technically an offensive weapon of war. The air raid shelters could remain. All were used for a short time as temporary shelter for the homeless.

http://www.geocities.com/lupinpooter/berlin.htm

http://webinsel.lion.cc/spitzbergen/180048/flaktuerme.htm

http://www.thirdreichruins.com/berlin.htm#flakturm

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Please check this :

www.geheimprojekte.at/

www.flaktuerme.de

www.lostplaces.de this will cover Gefechtsturm VI

Kai, you are correct that the colour pic of the tower is in Wien. In fact the northern towers in the Augarten palace location have been used for business offices and chick shops. It would take to much to remove these monstrousities and destroy that adjacent buildings and gardens of the palace pfasodes.
    Hamburg, Berlin and Wien were the only cities to acquire the huge towers to place the twin barrled 128mm guns and associated smaller flak down to flakvierling 20mm

E

3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Thanx Erich!

I had read about these flaktowers for a couple of times but really did not understand how big they were until recently...

:eek: ;)

4. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Kai :

I think the ones in Berlin are gone, at least one left in Hamburg and used as an apartment dwelling.
    In Wien there are at least two locations, Augarten and ..... ? maybe a third or all 4 ? When I was there in 1980 I was really stupid in not taking a good drive over to one for closer inspection. They really stick out on the sky-line, and are just part of the acceptable past.

E

5. TA152

TA152 Ace

I hope they had elevators in those towers ! How would you like to carry ammo up the stairs to feed all those guns. :confused:

The six months it took to build them is really good. Today it would take three years or more to build something like that in a city.

6. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Indeed they were pretty amazing!

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Guys :

Yes the heavier ammo was raised on elevator type systems. The 128 and 88 mm was stored in hinged and locked concrete appratures, then at Wien ? if I am not mistaken the 128mm's were slighty rescessed into the top roof for extra anti-shrapnel protection for the gun and crew and underneath placed horizontally were the rounds stacked by seperated by a few inches of wooden the the lower structure.

Gottfried, have you been able to see one or more towers in hamburg before your move to Mexico ? I plan to visit good friends in Wien in about 5 years and the towers will be one of the high lights of my visit even if it is only to photgraph them from the ground up.

E

8. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

For people really interested in those towers, 'After The Battle' have covered them and there is a softcover book called ' The Flak Towers - in Berlin, Hamburg and Vienna 1940-1950 ' by Michael Foedrowitz ( ISBN 0-7643-0398-8 ).

OK, it's a Schiffer book ( :( [​IMG] ) but it's packed full of photos and is actually very interesting, so, if you're into Flak Towers, I recommend it.

BTW, I saw the one in Hamburg a few years ago and for once, the over-used word 'awesome' is totally appropriate.

9. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Yes, Erich. I remember them. I used to travell to Hamburg very often. I remembering asking my mother when I was a kid: "What are those, mummy?" And she said: "Big barns" :confused: [​IMG]

10. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Big barns ? interesting comment from mom.

Martin is the tower in Hamburg still very dark grey/black from your impressions. I have one of those very strange low to high angle pics depicting the tower as an apartment complex. wonder if the sucker is sound proof or echos inside ? ;)

Yes the Fedorwitz book is pretty good deal for the price. The is another monster book that we discussed last year from Germany on the flak towers and their beginnings. I should pull my resources together and pick that thing up.....about 60.00 US I think.

E

11. Martin Bull

Yes, when I saw the Heiligengeistfeld Tower in Hamburg it was a rather weatherbeaten-looking black colour, with the concrete clearly showing through.

They may have repainted it by now, of course...

12. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I imagine it had pollution stains.....do you remember any windows being present indicating seperate rooms ?

E

13. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Well, she's French... What can you expect? :D

14. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Speaking of the French, I think it was a joint British/French teams that tore down the big boys in Berlin if I am not mistaken and also in Hamburg too...... ?

E

15. Martin Bull

Erich, yes, it was a blazing hot day in 1989 and many of the windows were open, with people entering and leaving the building as I recall....

16. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

Cheers guys!!! I have been after pictures of Flak towers for ages as i want to build one for my wargames stuff!!!

17. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Martin :

found the pic I was looking for. How austere ! Big, ugly and almost totaly black with little windows at three per floor on each side. In the heart of Hamburg with the equivalent of a 5 story plus building. Dom Kate and Derby Day booths in front of this big thing.......found in the classic book, "One last Look"

E

18. TA152

TA152 Ace

Did'nt the English build a few off shore flak towers in the channel? I can't remember much on this but that the crews had to live out there for a certain period of time before being rotated.

19. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

I believe so. sort of AA oil rigs... :confused:

20. Martin Bull