Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Home-Making in The Trenches

Discussion in 'Military History' started by GRW, Nov 29, 2015.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Some great pictures here.
    "It all started with one photograph that caught my interest, and then through the course of today, I think I’ve easily gone through about 10,000 photographs, searching through various archives for another glimpse into how soldiers made a home for themselves on the front line.

Even amidst the unimaginable horrors of war, there’s just something so relatable about bringing the comforts of home into such an unlikely setting, especially as someone who has always had a thing about personalising my own environment, whether it was the backyard forts I built with my brother as a kid or my workspace today.

To see these men customise their dreary dugouts with make-shift furniture, decorative accents, window frames, flower pots and other feminine touches, it gives you an entirely different perspective on war, regardless of which side the soldiers in the photographs were fighting for. With every unfamiliar image I found of these rare moments in the trenches, I was sent deeper down the rabbit hole…"
    http://www.messynessychic.com/2015/11/24/the-art-of-homemaking-in-a-world-war-dugout/

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Great collection of photos. Thanks for posting the link, Gordon.

3. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

human nature...if you're static for a long time, you will make it more ''comfortable''...you'd be surprised what is considered ''comfortable'' in the field, combat. frontlines, etc...we dug some mortar pits in the soft sand of 29 Palms CA., and I slept very good on it....one time we slept indoors but on concrete with thin ISO mats, and it seemed very comfortable
    ...... .I thought when the Korean War stalemated and became static, there were a lot of elaborate bunkers