Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Photo taken from the deck of the USS New Orleans?

Discussion in 'Naval Warfare in the Pacific' started by NSchunks, Dec 13, 2015.

1. NSchunks

NSchunks New Member

I found the attached photo at a second hand store in a huge bundle of WW2 era photos. Most of the photos had no writing on the back, this photo included. The photos that did have writing had dates such as 1938 or 39, and in locations such as Panama, Cuba, and Hawaii. All the photos of sailors I found that had info on the back said USS New Orleans. All the circumstantial evidence points to this being the New Orleans but I'm still a bit skeptical. Is there enough evidence in the photo itself to point me in one way or another?

Attached Files:

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The photo is too small to see any detail. Could you provide a larger version of it?

3. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Welcome Aboard NSchunks!,

Yeah we need a bigger image please.

4. NSchunks

NSchunks New Member

Attached Files:

5. Takao

Takao Ace

Edited:
    It is taken from underneath the after 8-inch turret and facing out over the stern.

If it is not from the USS New Orleans, it is certainly taken aboard a New Orleans class cruiser.

6. NSchunks

NSchunks New Member

How can you tell? I'm somewhat of a novice at this. I did look up pictures of the New Orleans. I noticed on the turret, some battleships had two barrels and some had 3. Also, the photo of the New Orleans that I found had a flag at the end of the bow.

7. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I'm not sure how Takao identified this, but he did mention it's looking at the stern, or back end, not the bow.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

8. Takao

Takao Ace

Simple answer...That is the US Flag...Which is never flown from the jack staff(flag pole on the bow).

Complex answer...The two rectangular boxes on the flag staff are her formation lights. This was unique to the New Orleans class, as the previous classes were housed in a single cylinder, thus not separated. Also, I believe use of the two short railing stanchions on either side of the flag pole was unique to the class.