Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Battle of the Bulge Co. B 180th Inf Seventh Army 45th Div

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by schill, Jan 2, 2016.

1. schill

schill New Member

I am looking for ANY info or a photo of my 2nd great-uncle, Michael Kenny. He died at Battle of the Bulge, and as I was born in 1990, I never met him - nor did my mother of grandfather (Kenny's nephew). I have always had a love for genealogy, and having no information on a man that I should have met as a child really bothers me. If anyone has any information, or can point me in the right direction, please do! I believe Kenny had a pregnant wife when he died, which leaves an entire branch of my family that has yet to be discovered.

2. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

my uncle was with the 179th Regiment of the 45th ID....I did not think the 45th was anywhere near the Bulge.....unless your great uncle was detached for some reason....my knowledge was the 7th Army was below the 3rd Army...US Armies 9-1-3-7 in that order north to south.. with the 1st taking the brunt of BOB, and 3rd coming up from below to relieve them...probably died during the time of the BOB, but not in the BOB...?..what state was he from??

http://www.ww2f.com/topic/22872-180th-infantry-regiment-after-action-reports/

here's a very old thread on the 180th ....

http://www.iandrplatoon.org/45th%20ID%20History.html

a short history of the 45th ID ....with great picture of their CP in Germany.....there are others here much more knowledgeable than I that will help you further

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

The Bangor Public Library has a digital copy of the 180th Infantry history which you can download. I did a search for anyone with the last name "Kenny" and found nothing, not even in the listing of KIAs. Is it possible he was in a different unit?

4. Natman

Natman Member

Attached Files:

TD-Tommy776 and Slipdigit like this.
  5. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

6. TD-Tommy776

Great find, Steve. It didn't even occur to me to check the headstone applications. I must be getting slow in my old age.

At the end of the list of KIAs it does say that men listed initially as MIA and later declared KIA are not on the list. That is one possibility. It also could be just an omission. I've seen that before in other unit histories. It is also possible that he joined the 180th as a replacement shortly before he was KIA. Clearly, more needs to be known about the exact circumstances.

You should request his IDPF. You can read more about IDPFs and how to request them here.

7. Natman

Natman Member

I go to them any time they're available, especially handy to confirm you have the right guy when they have a common name.

8. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Steve and Tommy, are you members of Ancestry? If not, where did you find the headstone application? That's a real bonus.

9. Natman

Natman Member

I have an Ancestry account, Lou. Started out doing a family tree but find it useful for TD research. There's loads of sloppy work by members on there but govt. records are usually pretty safe to rely on.

10. LRusso216

Hmm. I may have to get an account. It might make me start family research.

11. TD-Tommy776

I get them from Fold3, which is an Ancestry deal. I haven't joined Ancestry because 1) Fold3 focuses on military records, and 2) I have a family member who has an Ancestry account already. If you are interested in doing family genealogy stuff, Ancestry is the better way to go.

12. LRusso216

Thanks Steve and Tommy. I have free memberships in both sites. I have to decide which upgrade is best for me. The free memberships don't allow me to look at much.

13. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

The 7th Army was on the receiving end of Operation Nordwind, a less well known surprise attack on the Allied forces in Alsasce and the Vosges. The 45th Divisions were part of the VIO Corps which was on the receiving end of the main attacks.

It is a bit of a pity that we tend to rank battles by how well they are known. The men who fought in Alsace all did their bit and their story deserves to be remembered as much as thouse who fought in the Bulge or on D Day.

14. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

many, many unsung 'heroes' and unsung battles.....I think the members here are doing their bit to remember them.....Elinor and Historian do a great job at that.....

15. Alsa.se

Alsa.se Member

The US military has always considered that Nordwind operation was part of the Battle of the Bulge. Hence some comprehension difficulties.
    If Natman found the right person, KENNY Michael J. died in Alsace. The 45th Infantry Division, 180th Regiment, Co B, was in the northern Vosges (and as I said, this area was considered part of the Battle of the Bulge, from the US Army)
    The headstone clearly indicates that he died in "France", January 8, 1945.

180th Infantry regiment :
    January 3, 1945: assembling area southwest of Wimmenau
    January 7, 1945: 12th SS Mountain Regiment was encircled in Wingen sur Moder but managed to break through the American lines, and around 7:00 attacked the rear of the Co C. At 9:45 the Co B came into contact with the Co A and The enemy retreated. Bn quickly gathered and continued the attack: on the right Co A, B Co on the left.
    Bn able to advance to the main road that lies to the east of Wildenguth (I guess the one that is in the "Kindsbronnerthal" between Kohlhuette and Wildenguth) There, due to enemy superiority Bn due strengthen its positions and conduct reconnaissance of the front.
    January 8, 1945: At 8:00, 1st Bn tried again to dislodge the enemy from the northern part of this route. Co A & B managed once again to reach the upper part overlooking the valley, encountering only small arms fire and mortars. At 8:35 the enemy is strengthened and counterattack, forcing Co A, B & L to stop their advance. At 10:00 1st Bn was ordered to join his original positions.

Eric

View attachment 23850

Attached Files:

16. Christian Durante

Christian Durante New Member

Hi Everyone! My name is Christian Durante. I am the grandson of my own Hero Grandpa, Private Angelo J. Durante. I am assembling a World War II Scrapbook of my Grandfather's Experiences during World War II. NARA recently sent me two pages of information that didn't contain much information.

I was wondering if someone can help find some information of my grandfather experiences in the 180th Infantry. They sent me a AG 210.5 Form from the Headquarters of the 180th Infantry. It says the following:

Headquarters of the 180th Infantry
    Office of the Regimental Commander
    APO 45 Postmaster
    New York, New York

July 25th, 1943,

Subject: Award of the Purple Heart
    To: Individuals Concerned

They list 11 people concerned: My Grandfather is listed as follows:

Pvt. Angelo J. Durante, 32197612, Company "B", 180th Infantry, for wounds received in action near Biscari, Sicily, 17th of July 1943. (Medal No. 214200). Purple Heart with Oak Leave Cluster

Can someone search the After-Action Reports or 180th Archives and see if my Grandfather is mentioned. I am looking to collect any WWII Paperwork on him for the family scrapbook.

I followed his footsteps and joined public service. I am serving my country as Federal Employee in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and volunteer as U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary.

Grandpa Angelo Durante Enlisted in the U.S. Army on February 4th, 1942 in Camp Upton Yaphank, New York.
    He was honorably discharged on September 27th, 1945. His separation center was Fort Dix, New Jersey.
    His last rank and grade and unit was Technician, Fifth Grade. 3485 Ordinance Company.

His Battles and Campaigns on his Honorable Discharge was the following: North Apennines, Naples-Foggia, Sicily, Rome-Arne.

My questions:

1. Can anyone find some photos or information on him in any books or websites that you come across?

2. What is a Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster? He received 2 Purple Hearts. Both have 3 stars on them.

3. What did the 3485 Ordinance Company do during WWII?

4.He also got wounded in October 1943 in Italy. I have no paperwork on that?

5. I have a award certificate saying he completed training as a Infantryman of a Heavy Weapons Company during the period of February 13th, 1942, to May 16th, 1942, at the Infantry Replacement Center Training Center at Camp Croft, South Carolina. It says his training unit was Co. D, 30th Infantry Training Battalion. What is this training and company about? What was Camp Croft?

6. Grandpa Angelo Durante also Earned the Bronze Star Medal during the Naples Foggia Campaign. I really want to know what he specifically or generally did to earn the medal. Would the After-Action Report List That? Can someone find the medal Justification.

Any help is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Christian Durante

I can provide my private email if anyone finds anything during their research. Please see attachments for more information.

Attached Files:

17. Tipnring

Tipnring Active Member

Attached Files:

18. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Finding anything on a specific individual will be difficult at best, outside of those in a leadership position or the recipient of upper tier medal for valor.

Purple Heart (PH) & Oak Leaf Cluster (OLC) signifies the award of two Purple Hearts. An OLC is awarded for each wound following the first, such that someone wounded three times should have a PH with 2 OLCs. I am not sure why there should should be a star device on the PH medal. I have never known that to be authorized. Only one PH medal or ribbon should be worn, with OLC for each additional award.

Ordinance Companies Supplied, maintained, issued, etc weapons and other tools of war, including vehicles.

You might me able to contact VA and see if he received any treatment post war for his injuries.

Camp Croft was a temporary army post in South Carolina ** Camp Croft Homepage ** The post trained replacements, as opposed to fully organized units. Most were closed after the war, while some were upgraded to full Army forts, such as Camp/Fort Rucker, Alabama. The training company was just that, a temporary company organized to provided advanced infantry after basic training. The company number was incremented with each successive wave of trainees. No insignia was issued and probably no records of the unit are extant.

The After Action Report (AAR) might provide some general details about the action, but not mention names or even if the award was issued. You would need to look at the battalion and/or regimental AAR. In all probability, regimental and divisional General Orders will give more details about the Bronze Star (BS), but don't get your hopes up too much info on the BS.

In all likelihood, he never actually served in the ordinance company, but was assigned to it for shipment home. The army did not ship individuals home, but rather units. Consequently, men were moved around to fill billets in units destined for transport home and these units often times had no bearing on the individual's duties during the war.

In the likelihood he was infantry, I would think very likely he also earned the Expert Combat Infantry Badge (CIB). He would probably have been more proud of that than any other medal or badge.