Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Our Wars In 2 Minutes

Discussion in 'Post War 1945-1955' started by tombennett91, Jan 18, 2016.

1. tombennett91

tombennett91 New Member

Is war beyond our understanding? For several months I've read many different opinions on this subject throughout the forum (some others) which has been extremely enlightening.

With this question in mind and being a Film Editor I decided to create a video titled 'Our Wars In 2 Minutes' that covers the major wars since WW1 up until ISIS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BumcS6dlrVU

Having worked on this for a couple of months it would be extremely rewarding to hear back from a community that has informed much of my knowledge on international conflicts and warfare.

2. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

war is a ''trait'' of humans...there always has been war....even in countries without a ''hot'' war, there are groups that hate, etc each other...without a controlling government, etc, they would be in a hot war....humans cannot get along ....it's human ''nature''...take away controls, and out comes the ''invisible'' evil human instincts..
    there are always the extremists in all groups that do not want peace, at any cost... ....Sadat and Rabin were assassinated for making peace!

humans.....I see comments all the time of ''how could someone murder, etc?'' they say that they just can't understand how humans could murder......well, they are just being human...humans hate, are greedy, bigoted, jealous, just plan crazy! , etc....they murder, kill, steal, beat, etc....and the different tribes can't get along...sparks fly,and then the fire of war

3. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

There are two all pervasive factors in the footage:
    Natural man: We are not divine beings but animals, like ALL others in the world. We are a "higher" animal (like elephants and lions for example) We take new territory and have aggression to do it...A male lion doesn't take part in the hunt, so whats his job? To protect the pride from other Lions who, will take his territory and females if they can.
    Unnatural man: We live in an ever changing environment, forcing us to do more and more unnatural things, throwing a rock was natural, firing a shoulder launched rocket isn't. Jumping off a rock is natural, jumping from a plane at 200mph isn't...

What you see above is the melding of these two "Men".

bronk7 likes this.
  4. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

very interesting view....Sean Penn was talking about El Chapo and how we shouldn't de-humanize him....well, he did things that were not human, they were more animal-like.....humans do very animal things in war and in peace....and they do horrible things that are not 'human' [ civilized ] and not animal like...maybe that's part of the 'melding' as you say ?

5. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Hit the nail with the word civilised...we live in a civil world so it's difficult to know what is and isn't 'civilised' or learnt behaviour, the majority we get from parents/family the rest from greater society...I have seen uncivilised people, they live here in the territory...a stone age culture...you can see quite clearly the difference in behaviour and attitude...can be confronting.