Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Request For This section

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by ww24interest, Feb 17, 2016.

1. ww24interest

ww24interest Member

Otto likes this.
  2. lwd

lwd Ace

Interesting request. Why do you think there would be enough discussion to merit a separate sub forum? I can see why there might be some overlap between the ammunition used in various different class (naval, artillery, armor, etc) sections that having one forum might be of some benefit but would there be enough to merit a section? I'm not sure what the overhead is for subforums or what all the ramifications are.

You might want to mention this in one of the Command and Control sub forums. Might get the attention of the admins quicker that way. Or you can report it. (It does get their attention and they haven't yelled at me yet for using it as a quick way of getting moderator/admin attention).

I thin Anthony (Tony) Williams has some forums that discuss ammo as well. His site certainly has a lot of info on ammo and is well worth a visit if you haven't done so already.

3. ww24interest

ww24interest Member

It can be used to discuss types ammunition that was used penetration values for rounds, rockets, shells, rifle grenades, HVAP rounds, mortar rounds, bomb types dropped from ww2 bombers, automatic cannon rounds, rounds fired from ships, torpedoes etc. There is a lot that can be discussed

4. lwd

lwd Ace

Indeed but for instance all the naval aspects of those fit in the ships & ship borne weapons sub forum likewise the performance of aircraft weapons, infantry weapons, etc. So why make ammunition forum? The big reason I can see is where weapons were shared across sub forums. I.e. an 88mm AA gun that was used by both the Heer and the KM. We have gotten into some technical discussions on ammo in the past but not very often and usually constrained within one of the sub forums. Where it is obvious from the beginning that it will span multiple sub forums the option to have it in this one also exists. Not that I think it's a bad idea I just suspect the admins are going to want a stronger case made for doing it. I could be wrong on that though.

5. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I like the concept, thanks for the feedback ww24interest. This is currently being discussed by the moderation team.