Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Cold War an extension of Nazi Policy

Discussion in 'Post War 1945-1955' started by GunSlinger86, Feb 28, 2016.

1. GunSlinger86

GunSlinger86 Well-Known Member

It seems during the Cold War the US hatred, feelings, distrust, propaganda, and actions against Communism was similar if not alike to Nazi policy. It was almost if we took over for the Nazis in the fight against Communism after we defeated them. There are many similarities between Nazism/Fascism and US policies: Segregation, Eugenics, hatred of Communism along with negative propaganda against Russian Communism, economic policy where property and business is still privately owned but the government has a hand in controlling it (New Deal, Corporatism/Fascism).

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Has anyone checked your meds lately? :)

3. GunSlinger86

Anyone with logic and reasoning can see the comparisons, For people who are really mentally ill and require medicine that could be seen as offensive.

Hitler praised the US and adopted Segregation and Eugenics for his Nazi policies, that's been cited before, as one example.

4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

It's not automatic to say that being anti-Communist makes you Pro-Fascist. The US was anti-totalitarian.

USS Washington likes this.
  5. GunSlinger86

Agreed. I'm not saying the US was pro-fascist, I'm just taking one similarity of policies between two different countries who were "enemies" but had a similar outlook, views, and actions in regards to Communism.

6. OpanaPointer

That breaks down pretty quickly.

7. Takao

Takao Ace

Well...Since we are talking about similarities between two very different forms of government.
    [​IMG]

It's not all that hard to find similarities between two different objects...Not that it means very much.

You can find similarities between the Wright Flyer and the F-22...But there are also far more differences.

8. GunSlinger86

You guys have to open your minds a little bit. Hell the CIA smuggled Nazis over here and hired them to the CIA specifically for use against the Russians in the Cold War for intelligence and clandestine violence.

9. Takao

Takao Ace

I keep an open mind...But not so open that my brain falls out.

DerGiLLster likes this.
  10. GunSlinger86

So the CIA didn't smuggle and hire Nazis specifically to fight the intelligence and clandestine violence of the Cold War? The US didn't practice Negative Soviet-Communist propaganda? We didn't practice and enforce segregation and racism?

11. lwd

lwd Ace

Most of the US was anti-communist before WWII and indeed many were due to the activities of the Communist during the Russian civil war. The atrocities committed by the Communist in the time after they came to power clearly justified that stance. US policy was hardly the same as Nazi policy in that regard though. The Nazis sought out the cooperation of the USSR at the same time they were planning on attacking them with the aim of conquest while the US policy was one of containment. Your premise is fundamentally flawed due in large part to it's one sided nature.

USS Washington likes this.
  12. OpanaPointer

That's called a "strawman argument."

13. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Ha!

14. GunSlinger86

That's all I meant, that they had similar feelings on Communism, and the cold war and clandestine activities that went on against the Soviets were in line with what the Nazis believed, that Communism should be destroyed. Maybe I should have been more clear that just because they were similar, doesn't mean the US was gonna commit genocide and consider them sub-human.

15. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

the US was pro-freedom-of-choice for these countries....they weren't out to take over the countries...Nazi policy equal to Cold War policy? ?? I thought the nazi policy was to exterminate Jews?

16. lwd

lwd Ace

Similar? Well yes and no. Both rightly viewed Communism as a threat. That's about as far as you can take it though. Certainly their policies were very different. The Nazi's launched a surprise invasion of the USSR and didn't feel uncomfortable trying to eliminate most of the inhabitants as well as Communism. The US was content to contain Communism and let it self destruct. I don't see a lot of commonality there.

17. GunSlinger86

We fought in Korea and Viet Nam to contain Communism... Yes there was aggression from NK and the NVA that led us to intervene, but we had no problem wiping out millions of Vietnamese and Koreans.

18. GunSlinger86

You guys are taking what I said way too literally. What I meant was the Cold War was similar to Nazi Policy as in a hatred of and to take the fight against Communism, whether it be propaganda, espionage, clandestine acts of violence or whatever. Did I say America wanted to wipe out the Jews? No. Did I say we wanted to invade the Soviet Union and send 40 million Slavs to Siberia to die? No.

19. Takao

Takao Ace

I don't think you have to worry about that. It is hard to take an America=Nazi Germany thread seriously.

20. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

the US wasn't out to grab land...maybe help out some US companies....I thought the US was very reluctant to help France in Nam, etc..? they truly did want elections held, but circumstances got in the way