Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

World War 2 Patches

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by kwuetig, Mar 19, 2016.

1. kwuetig

kwuetig New Member

Help I am trying to find out as much info about my grandfather to build a shadow box. He was a corporal in the army during world war 2. He never talked about the war besides he was ashamed of the things that was asked of him to do. The little history that I know is he served for 2 years as a bridge engineer during the pacific theatre. Separated as a corporal after world war 2.I have attached a photo with 4 patches that I have of my grandfather and from what I have found out from earlier posts is that he was in the 7th infantry division perhaps with the 13th combat engineers. The 101st airborne patch doesn't make sense to me sounds like he might have acquired it during the war. The other two appear to be early army air corps symbols but I do not know much history about them. Any help would be great. Thank you.
    My grand fathers name was corporal John A. Wierkowski

Attached Files:

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The first patch is a 101st AB. I doubt he would have had any wartime contact with that unit.

I do not recognize the pin.

The third patch is a generic Army Air Forces patch

The fourth is a 7th Infantry Division patch, which would be consistent with service in the PTO.

If he was an engineer with the 7th, he would have been assigned to the 13th Engineer Combat Battalion, as you suggest. Divisional engineer battalions did not have bridge building equipment per se, but it is not unlikely he could have worked with corps engineer assets in the building of bridges, as the divisional engineers had heavy earth moving equipment needed in the placing of bridges..

kwuetig, formerjughead and Skipper like this.
  3. Owen

Owen O

Attached Files:

Slipdigit likes this.
  4. kwuetig

kwuetig New Member

Thank you for the responses so far. Is it possible that he would have worn the generic army air forces patches with the 7th infantry patch?

5. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Combat engineers, including the divisional engineer battalion are trained in bridging and it is one of their primary tasks. They normally are not involved with building permanent bridges which would require extensive heavy earth moving equipment as you stated. Bridging ravines, creeks, pontoon and other bridges across rivers, etc are all within their capabilities.

For the OP, here's a period US Army Field Manual listing duties, training, etc. for all US Army Engineer unit types for 1943:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref/FM/PDFs/FM5-5.PDF

kwuetig likes this.
  6. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

7. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I see no connection between the 7th Infantry and the Army Air Force. It is unlikely that he would wear the Air Forces patch. The various forces included in the 7th seem to have nothing to do with the Air Forces. Perhaps he traded for it, or acquired it in some other way.

8. lwd

lwd Ace

Were patches given as a thank you token at all? If so then if he worked on airfields in the Pacific he might have gotten one either as thank you or in trade there. We had another Pacific vet with a 101st badge not too long ago didn't we?

9. kwuetig

kwuetig New Member

Thank you so much for the information so far. I am not sure where he acquired these patches. My grandfather never talked about the war besides he was ashamed of the stuff he was asked to do over there. I do know he was in the Philippines and that is about it. He might have traded for it cause I also do have a K98 German bayonet and what appears to be a handmade Philippine knife with a wooden handle and wooden sheath.

10. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

It is possible that he had friends who were in those units and exchanged patches with each other.