Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German Spies Talking to Wounded Veterans: My Grandfather

Discussion in 'Codes, Cyphers & Spies' started by KinSackett, Mar 24, 2016.

1. KinSackett

KinSackett New Member

Hello Everyone,

I'm a brand new member to the forum and this is my first post. If I do anything out of bounds, or put anything i the wrong place, let me know.

Here's the preface. I don't have a lot of details on the actual spy account. So whatever questions you may have to help, just ask them. Maybe I can provide the right information. I'll put some information about his service before the encounter that you all can choose to read if you find it helpful.

• Here are my sparse details on the event in question. Some time after my grandfather's discharge, two German spies approached him in the town of Bedford, Virginia. From what I was told he may have been approached at work, and then again at his house when they tried again later. From what I understand they were trying to find wounded American veterans in hopes that they would find sympathizers with the Nazi cause. They of course, didn't find one with my grandfather. He didn't offer much information about this, and he's been gone for quite some time, so I figured a source like this place is one of the only ways I could find information on the matter.

My grandpa was a Staff Sergeant of Company G of the 116th Infantry. His campaigns included Northern France, Normandy and Rhineland. Anyway, He was wounded twice. The first wasn't serious but the second was. This more significant wound was obtained anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks before Saint Lo was taken. He received his honorable discharge on August 6, 1945. I give some of this information because I'm not quite sure why my grandfather was chosen by those two spies. That's one thing I'm quite curious about.

Any information on what this could be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Best,
    Kin

2. toki2

toki2 Active Member

Sound like a very bizarre story. Why would Allied forces injured by the enemy have any sympathy for the Nazi cause? Considering that this occurred after the war, what would the spies hope to gain?

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

That was my first thought given that Germany surrendered in May 1945. Unless the OP meant that he was discharged in August 1944 rather than 1945.

4. KinSackett

KinSackett New Member

Hello folks, its been a while. I was going to try and find more information to attempt to get a better grasp on things before I replied. However, my old college laptop died and I kind of forgot about this.

Sadly, I haven't found out anymore information on this. The only people I know he told are my mother, and my grandfather's sister and maybe one brother. He and his siblings have passed away so I don't foresee me finding out anymore information from other family members. I also can confirm that everything is correct on his information in the OP. I read it straight off his credentials.

I really wish I had more to go off of and could be more helpful. Perhaps they weren't Nazis? It doesn't make much sense at all, but from what he told my mother, two German spies did try to talk to my grandfather about something, and my mother said that he mentioned how they brought up the fact that he was wounded in the war as some sort of point to sway him to whatever they were "selling," so to speak.

Could there be something similar that's spy related and more likely of what could really have occurred long ago? I'm typing this on my phone. Perhaps I'll be better at checking it this time.

Thank you.

5. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Perhaps he worked on or was near a classified project. Military records seldom if ever tell a complete story. Maybe it was a test of some sort to see if he could keep a secret. Who knows. Just thinking out loud. Maybe the dudes were just nut jobs. Lol Hmmm, here is an idea. Check and see if other veterans/families in the area were also contacted by these men. Some other family might have your answer.