Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Pacific Campaign Records

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by kwuetig, Apr 11, 2016.

1. kwuetig

kwuetig New Member

I have posted a couple times trying to figure out as much information about my grandfather as I could. From the very little information I had of him other members had made suggestions that he was in the 7th infantry division attached to the 13th Engineer Combat Battalion. At the time I did not have his DD-214 that explained any information. Recently I found his paperwork and it is a little hard to read. If any of you can help decipher that information on there that would be really great. Thank you so much for the continual help with this.

Attached Files:

2. Natman

Natman Member

The report is too small for my old eyes. Can you post a larger version, maybe scan it as a PDF file?

Steve

3. kwuetig

kwuetig New Member

Sorry, Try it now. Should be bigger.

4. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Wirrxowski-John A-Army Serial # 36689446-Rank Corporal (CPL)-Arm Combat Engineer (CE)-Component Army of the United States (AUS)-Organization Company A 173rd Engineer Battalion-Date of Separation 12 December 1945-Place of Separation Fort Sheridan Illinois...more to follow

5. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

He was a Machinist Helper pre-service, his Military MOS was Bridge Carpenter 0351-he was a Sharpshooter with the Rifle-he served in the New Guinea, looks like Luzon and Ryukyus (Okinawa was part of this campaign) campaigns. He rated the WWII Victory medal-Asiatic Pacific Theater ribbon with three stars denoting the three previously listed campaigns. He rates the bronze arrowhead on the medal for making an actual landing. Philippine Liberation medal (Luzon campaign). He rates two battle stars for individual actions within the campaign.This was originally a ribbon but a medal was authorized in July 1945, since he got out in December 1945 I'm sure he got the medal after originally rating the ribbon. 2 Overseas bars and a Good Conduct medal.

6. kwuetig

kwuetig New Member

Thank you very much for breaking that information out for me like that. I ask all this cause I am building a shadow box to display in honor of him and I want to get it as accurate as possible. So for his shoulder patch o would use the 173rd airborne? What would I use for his collar pins? And is there a pin for sharpshooter?

7. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Here are the various pins for marksmanship.

He was entitled to the Asian Pacific ribbon with three campaign stars (New Guinea, Luzon, Ryukyus). He won he Philippine Liberation Medal with two battle stars, the WW2 Victory Medal, and the Good Conduct Medal.
    [​IMG]
    Asian Pacific Medal

[​IMG]
    Philippine Liberation Medal

[​IMG]
    Good Conduct Medal

[​IMG]
    WW2 Victory Medal

[​IMG]

Collar tabs

8. kwuetig

kwuetig New Member

Thank you for those great pictures of the ribbons. What would I use for his shoulder patch? I had heard that the 173rd ECB was attached with the 96th infantry division. Can anyone validate that?

9. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Stanton shows the 173rd Combat Engineer Bn was in the Philippines and Okinawa, but does not show the division they were attached to. Under the 96th ID it shows they were credited with Leyte and Ryukyus and the 321st Combat Engineer Bn was attached, not the 173rd. Neither unit shows service in New Guinea. Without having either show New Guinea and the separation giving him campaign credit for there, I'm more than confused. If I come up with anything, I'll post it.
    By the way, the 7th ID wasn't given credit for New Guinea either.

10. Buten42

Buten42 Member

All The units I found that were given credit for New Guinea, some were also given campaign credit for Luzon but none with Ryukyus.
    My guess is that he was transferred sometime after New Guinea. Have you requested a copy of his personnel records? You might get lucky and they may have missed the fire. If he went to the VA after getting out they will have records also.

11. kwuetig

kwuetig New Member

What were the units that were given credit for in New Guinea and Luzon? Yes I have requested his records that was at least two months ago. Still no word.

12. Buten42

Buten42 Member

The divisions I could find were: 1 Cav, 6th, 24th, 31st, 32nd, 33rd, 38th, 41st and 43rd.
    I'll go back and see which ones were credited with both New Guinea and Luzon. I know the 6th and 33rd were.
    What I read of New Guinea was really bad duty, especially for the engineers. 90degree heat with the humidity just as high, rain, mud, insects, on top of the enemy.

No news is good news for the records- patience is definitely in style when dealing with these folks.
    Don't give up on the VA. They have archived their records in St. Louis and the address is on their website.

13. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

And the lobby is very nice, too.

14. Buten42

Buten42 Member

I did have some Devine assistance in my attempt at getting my brother's records from them. We are fortunate to have a NARA field office in Seattle. I made friends with one of the assistants there and he found out they did have the records. He then added a letter with my last request ( I tried twice before and got the run-around) and behold--many, many records came in a large envelope.
    So I guess the old saying fits, " it's not what you know, but who you know".

15. kwuetig

kwuetig New Member

Looks like I might have to take a trip down to St. Louis to see if I can find out more

16. kwuetig

kwuetig New Member

Was the 173rd ecb ever attached with the 6th or 33rd?