Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Madeleine Lebeau

Discussion in 'WWII Era Obituaries (non-military service)' started by GRW, May 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

"The last surviving actress from the iconic movie Casablanca has died.
    Madeleine Lebeau played Yvonne, the jilted lover of Humphrey Bogart's Rick Blaine, in the 1942 film.
    Lebeau's stepson told The Hollywood Reporter that she had died aged on May 1 in Estepona, Spain aged 92, after breaking her thigh bone.
    The French-born actress was preceded in death by all of her credited Casablanca co-stars, including leads Bogart and Ingrid Bergman.
    In Casablanca Lebeau's Yvonne was rejected by Bogart's Rick following a one-night stand.
    She was seen drowning her sorrows at his nightclub, before making another drunken pass at him, after which he tasked a bartender with taking her home.
    Yvonne later returned on the arm of a German soldier.
    In a memorable scene from the movie as the French patrons and German drinkers battled to sing their national anthems, Yvonne cried and shouted Vive La France as she performed the Le Marseillaise.
    When Lebeau filmed Casablanca, she and her Jewish actor husband Marcel Dalio had just fled France themselves, escaping Paris in 1940 shortly before the Germans invaded.
    They reached Lisbon and after a wait received Chilean exit visas.
    But in a scene worthy of Hollywood itself, when their ship docked in Mexico they and 200 others were said to have been left stranded, with their purchased visas found to be fake.
    The couple eventually received temporary Canadian visas and entered the U.S.
    Lebeau made her Hollywood debut in 1941, filming Casablanca later that year, while on a $100-a-week contract with Warner Bros.
    Dalio also appeared in the movie as Emil the croupier.
    Lebeau and Dalio divorced in 1942, with Lebeau later marrying Oscar nominated screenwriter Tullio Pinelli.
    After the war she returned to Europe and continued her career as an actress, appearing in 20 more movies, mostly French." http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3591627/Last-surviving-Casablanca-actress-Madeleine-Lebeau-dies-aged-92.html#ixzz48kizuzpy

2. Terry D

Terry D Well-Known Member

I remember her very well in that picture, sorry to hear she is gone. Frankly I think Bogart made a mistake picking Bergman over her.

3. Clementine

Clementine Member

I know it's inevitable, but I hate to see these links disappear. I am sure that there were many other things of importance in Ms. Lebeau's life besides this movie, but she is immortalized forever in this role. And that's certainly not a bad way to be remembered.

I've loved this movie as long as I can remember. When I was a kid, it was the whole Rick/Ilsa love affair that captured my attention., and I'd sob at the end when she got on that plane As an adult I came to fully understand the appeal of Victor Lazlo, and Ilsa's conflict between those two remarkable men, and the cause that these people were fighting for, and now I sob during the singing of "La Marseillaise," along with Yvonne.

Don't get me wrong, I am still touched by the love story. But as Rick says, the problems of those people didn't really amount to a hill of beans compared to the inferno raging in the world at that time. The small victory over the Nazis in that cafe gives me goose bumps and brings on the tears, and as we very well know now, it foreshadows the eventual defeat of the Nazis by the Allied nations. And Ms. Lebeau is forever a part of that moment.