Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Looking for a list of graves in a National Cemetery

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by adambhoy, May 19, 2016.

1. adambhoy

adambhoy Member

Hi everybody:

I'm trying to find out if there is some kind of list/register/database/what have you that lists names of men interred in a specific National Cemetery, that is SORTABLE BY UNIT.

Ideally I'd love to identify any and all members of a particular WWII US Army division who are interred in a National Cemetery near me.

I contacted the cemetery via their website and was told that the cemetery is "not affiliated with the National Cemetery and thus has no records". I was advised to contact the National Cemetery Association, which is part of the US Department of Veterans Affairs.

I couldn't find any contact information on the NCA's website, save for generic links to their Facebook page, an email list, etc.

Before I try to navigate the treacherous waters of the federal government I was wondering if any of you have done a similar search before and could offer any advice?

Thanks,
    Adam

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I don't have such a list, but I'm not sure many veteran's grave sites include the Division they were in. I know my father's gravestone doesn't include that information. Maybe someone else can give you a better response.

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I would be surprised if there was such a database, but I hope you find it! If any government agency might be able to produce it, it would be the VA. However, I would be surprised if they have it. And if they did (or could at least extract it from their database) I would be very surprised if they would do it. On the other hand, as the saying goes, it never hurts to ask. I might try the local VA office rather than a national office. They might still say no, but it will likely increase your odds of success from nil to slightly above nil. ;)

4. adambhoy

adambhoy Member

Thanks for the responses! Tommy, good call on the local VA. I think I'll start there.

I was assuming that a National Cemetery must have SOME records on the the veterans interred there, as the veterans would have had to prove veteran's status to get in at all. I know Pennsylvania has a form called a "Veteran's Burial Card" which most times lists a unit, down to regiment or battalion, dates of service, ASN, etc.

A vet's headstone might not say so, but I'm operating on the hope that the cemetery might have something more specific on file.

Now whether or not they'd release that info to me is another question of course... But yeah, it never hurts to ask.

Thank you!

5. TD-Tommy776

It is at least possible that they have more info on the veterans, but your original question was about a database searchable by unit. That is what I think is unlikely. I just don't know what use they would have for it. You and I see a use for it, but we aren't managing a cemetery or running a government bureaucracy.

One thing you might consider is starting a Virtual Cemetery for the division on FindaGrave.com. It would require a bit more work than would working off of a searchable database, but it would be the next best thing.

adambhoy likes this.
  6. adambhoy

adambhoy Member

That's a great idea, Tommy--thanks for the suggestion! I think I'll look into that.

Adam

7. TD-Tommy776

Let me know if you need any pointers. Also, we do have a area in the "Those Who Served" section where you can post a link to your Virtual Cemetery.