Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Two Different Fates At Jutland

Discussion in 'Military History' started by GRW, May 26, 2016.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Sometimes the pain never heals.
    "Elizabeth Dickson’s father and uncle were both Midshipmen at Jutland. Here, she tells their story.

Over 8,000 men died in the 36-hour conflict, 6,000 of whom were British..and my uncle was one of them.

An adored younger son, Archie was aged just 16 when he died. Bertie, his elder brother - and my father - was a survivor.

Both had been pupils at Edinburgh Academy, the sons of William and Kathleen Dickson. William was a distinguished advocate, historian and biographer and was librarian of the National Library of Scotland from 1925 to 1931.

My father would go on to have over a 40-year Naval career and safely rise through the ranks to become an Admiral.

Tragically, we can only wonder what young Archie might have achieved.

He looked in vain for the Queen Mary as the fleet passed by in line. Nightmarish uncertainty ensued.
    My grandfather’s words after the bloody Battle of Jutland summarise the stark reality our bereaved family faced. “Nothing will bring him back. Archie and his splendid ship, of which they were all so proud, now lie at the bottom of the sea.”
    http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/story-of-two-edinburgh-brothers-who-fought-at-jutland-only-one-came-home-1-4139134#ixzz49oXcYsdu

2. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

If one compares Jutland to Verdun or the First battle of the Somme or Russians caught in the kessel's I can readb about them of 1941-42 the numbers pale. But for some reason I can read about them without significant emotion buit I find it hard to read about Jutland, I actuaslly find myself becoming tense. , exactly what I feel reading about the Hood or Bismark. It must be those large heavily armed and armored ships appearing so invunerable behemoths suddenly exploding causing near instant death to thousands, though bismark took a little longer. to see that beautiful photograph of Hood with ratings and officers all in white, the crew all over that bow on shot....so many young men then you realize a similar crew simply disappeared in seconds. A profound sadness in that to me. A battle cruiser named "Indefatigable'." just blows up ! Unimaginable.

Gaines...

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Having read about Jutland for many years, I have to agree that somehow, above all that gives the Battle its' fascination, it is the devastating loss of the big ships with virtually everyone aboard that seems especially shocking, even among all the others horrors of war in the 20th Century.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I saw a documentary on Tv that showed how Sir Beaty apparently took the credit of the positive aspects of the battle (if any ) to himself and arranged reports to show he remained in permanent contact with the German fleet during the Battle. This was made possible when he replaced his rival Jellicoe who was sent to New Zealand. In fact it was the latter who saved part of the British fleet, not Beauty. But Jellicoe was no longer around to defend his position. In my opinion Jellicoe paid the price for not winning "a la Nelson" whereas in fact he made no real mistakes and saved some major vessels from disaster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jellicoe,_1st_Earl_Jellicoe

5. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

An interesting aspect of the Centenary has been that - in contrast to the 1920s - the 'Jellicoe Camp' seem to have gained the upper hand over the 'Beatty Camp'. Certainly every TV documentary I've seen has presented a highly complex situation in a very simplified way ( Evan-Thomas' name, for instance, hasn't been mentioned !).

Beatty to me is a Patton-type character, idolised by Press and public, and ( mostly ) by the men who served under him. A fascinating character to read about, but in military and personal terms, a flawed character. We have to be careful ( as with all History) of judging individuals too harshly ( and certainly, at Jutland all three of the most important British Admirals could have 'done better'). These men were products of their time and society.

If anyone really wishes to understand Jutland more deeply ( and in the process, enjoy a fine book to read ) then Andrew Gordon's 'The Rules Of The Game' is the book to read. It certainly makes you appreciate ( again !) that nothing is quite as simple as it may seem in retrospect.

6. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

GRW and Takao like this.