We Need Your Help - Become a Site Supporter

For 16 years we've been delivering WWII discussion and research, help support our efforts for the next 16 years. Become a WW2 Forums Patron!

Photo
- - - - -

Sir Peter Shaffer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 The_Historian

The_Historian

Pillboxologist

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,630 posts
  • LocationStirling, Scotland

Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:33 AM

"Peter Levin Shaffer was born in Liverpool on May 16 1926, into a prosperous family of Orthodox Jews, five minutes after his twin brother. His father was in the property business, which was later taken over by the twins' younger brother, Brian.  

The family eventually moved south where, after education at St Paul’s School, the brothers were both conscripted as Bevin Boys to work in the Kent coal mines. Peter recalled passing the long hours down the pit mentally rehearsing the tragic Shakespearian roles. On his rare days off, he would go up Old Vic “golden seasons” productions at the New Theatre."

• Otto likes this

Regards,

Gordon

#2 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts
  • LocationThe Land of 10,000 Loons

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:01 AM

I had seen the reference to Bevins Boys, but finally looked it up.   www.wartimememories.co.uk/bevinboys.html

I liked the movie Amadeus. Never saw Equus, though I remember hearing about it when it came out.

Freedom is precious and many gave their lives for it. It is the duty of the future generation
to remember that sacrifice, and offer some sacrifice for themselves if Freedom is threatened.

Cecil Earl Workman, WWII Veteran, "L" Co., 129th Inf. Regt., 37th Inf. Div.

Halvorson_PTO129IR-37ID2.jpg

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

BudETO776TD.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#3 The_Historian

The_Historian

Pillboxologist

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,630 posts
  • LocationStirling, Scotland

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:10 AM

My old gaffer was a Bevin Boy. My grandad, on the other hand-born and brought up in a mining village and a miner all his days- hated them with a vengeance.

Regards,

Gordon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users