Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Anyone know the diameter of a B-29 propeller ?

Discussion in 'Aircraft' started by gtblackwell, Jun 15, 2016.

1. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

I apologise off off topic but someone I am designing a house for is buying one and wants to hang it on the wall. We have an 18 foot high wall X 20 feet long . Should be a monster ! Same guy who took me flying in his Yak -9.

It is WW2 technology so thought someone might know. I van find data on the plane and engines but so far not prop diameter.

Gaines

George Patton and Otto like this.
  2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Should fit;

Then there were problems with the huge, 16-½' Hamilton Standard propellers which caused "run-a-way" engines, problems with the four remote controlled gun "barbettes, problems with the "fire control blisters" where gunners were stationed to aim the barbettes; the blisters sometimes blew out when the craft was pressurized and flying at high altitude. (Gunners were advised to wear a safety line in order to avoid being blown overboard if a blister popped). There were problems with booster controls for the rudder and problems with the radar.

http://www.aviation-history.com/boeing/b29.html

Skipper likes this.
  3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

So it would barely fit . The result should look stunning though.

4. lwd

lwd Ace

This page mentions both 3 and 4 bladed props:
    http://www.skytamer.com/Boeing_B-29.html
    but doesn't mention any difference in diameter.
    This page states that the standard (4 bladed) props were 16'7"
    http://b29memorial.com/plane.html
    The wiki page at:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_B-29_Superfortress
    mentions an alternate propeller for the Silverplate (atomic) bombers but only that it was reversible pitch no size data.
    That's probably what this prop is:
    http://airandspace.si.edu/explore-and-learn/multimedia/detail.cfm?id=2042
    if so you might be able to get some info from the Smithsonian.

5. gtblackwell

Thanks guys., interesting project. definitely off a Wright 3550. He has emailed for the diameter but 16.5 feet sounds about right. I will rotate itb 45 degrees to get it a bit off the floor. It this goes through I will post it here. I am thinking I need to do some strong blocking in the wall. A more creative person would put an electric motor on it and use it as a ceiling fan !! Interestingly the wife is okay with it , Interior decoration at it's best :) Clem would go for it too !

Gaines

6. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

This sounds awesome! I keep looking for a single propeller from a P47 to hang on the wall.

7. lwd

lwd Ace

It would make an incredible "Casablanca" fan ... wouldn't have to turn very fast either ... Getting it moving might be an issue though.

8. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

You know, putting a motor on it would be GREAT. Not very fast, in fact slower would be better so it takes a while for people to realize it's actually moving.

Trip Jab likes this.
  9. OpanaPointer

Start it with a high torque motor and switch to a tandem mounted low torque motor when it's up to speed?

10. Dave55

Dave55 Member

Nah, rig the variable pitch hub to handle that ;)

11. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Late for the show, but my copy of Jane's (1945) also confirms 16ft 7in (5 meters).

12. gtblackwell

Jeff, if is comes into being you can come over for a look see,. same guy has the Yak and we can include it too.

The prop is in California and aside from diameter it weights 800 pounds. The owner is saying he is having trouble getting it apart. Jim is excited about getting one so he is extending hisn search.

Gaines

Slipdigit likes this.
  13. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'm all over the idea, Professor, just give me the word.

14. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'd travel down for that with my lady and the little man.

15. gtblackwell

Turns out the prop has been it the weather for some time and corrosion is causing seperation problems. Unless it comes apart will be bear impossible to get to Alabama. But it has done it's due, the owner is more determined to have a big WW2 prop on the wall so has extended his search. His son is in California working on warbird engines as an intern and already has found others, So we are proceeding with the blocking and location. Will keep everyone informed and will supply pictures as we progress.

WW2 connection to all this: When I first meet the house owners , before they hired me, I ask Jim what he did and he said "flew" I ask " For someone like Delta or American ?".....We are 100 miles from Atlanta and lots of pilots live here. He said no he flew his own planes and listed them and one was a Yak 9. I said I hope he had replaced the Klimov with an Allison 1710 or a Merlin. Early Klimov's had a hand operated oil pump ! He had, an Allison which let to a good friendship and a big remodeling of their then house. Several years later I am doing them a nice new house and got a ride in the Yak ! It pays to know a little WW2 aviation history !!! What ! ( For my UK friends) So a little forum time really paid off. The great propeller hunt is a bonus.

I appreciate the salutes on this thread but it is I who owes the forum one ! Made me more WW2 literate.

Gaines

Otto likes this.
  16. OpanaPointer

For reference, the main screws (Archimedes screws, but never "propeller") on a LHA-1 class amphib are 16 feet 9 inches in diameter.