Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Das Boot" will be continued!

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by OhneGewehr, Jun 24, 2016.

1. OhneGewehr

OhneGewehr New Member

Smiley 2.0 and Otto like this.
  2. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

It sounds very promising. I thoroughly enjoyed "Das Boot " and look forward to this series assuming some US provider broadcast it. Thank you for the alert.

Gaines

3. OhneGewehr

OhneGewehr New Member

It is a shame, the novel isn't available in english. It is a fantastic book with nearly 2000 pages :eek:
    So lots of stuff to be filmed.

Did you know that the author was a real officer of the german propaganda division and Jürgen Prochnow played the real U-Boat Ace Lehmann-Willenbrock?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinrich_Lehmann-Willenbrock
    When he was called "Der Alte" (the old one) he was only 30 years old.

4. stgrhe

stgrhe Active Member

The article says that there will be eight one-hour long episodes, be based on the two novels "Das Boot" and "Die Festung", and designed as a sequel to the film hits "Das Boot".

I liked the original movie version of "Das Boot" but the extended one was quite booring with much too many scenes of "watching the horizon".

5. OhneGewehr

OhneGewehr New Member

Buchheim didn't like the short version, only the longer version gives the spectator an idea what submarine warfare was about. Even as an officer and with an ace like Lehmann-Willenbrook, most of the time it was extremly boring and incredibly uncomfortable.

"Das Boot" and "Die Festung" are different novels about different stages and places of the war. I guess this is a mistake therefore.

stgrhe likes this.
  6. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I'm sure it was extremely tedious, even more so for the bulk of the crew who had few or no opportunities to stand a watch topside.

Can you give us a thumbnail view of "Die Festung?" The title makes me suspect it is about Cherbourg or some other port after the landings. That would be an interesting story for sure.

7. OhneGewehr

OhneGewehr New Member

By the way: If you liked the movie "Das Boot", then read the book too. It is much, much better. But be prepared: He describes the colours of the ocean and the sky over many pages and - to my surprise - i absolutely loved it.

"Die Festung" takes place in 1944.
    Leutnant Werner and der Alte returned from her last voyage and Werner is sent to Berlin afterwards. Then D-Day happens, Werner returns to France, travelling through the country and visiting Normandy. Der Alte is commanding the Brest fortress meanwhile (=Festung) and Werner joins him finally. After a few weeks he escapes from Brest with an Schnorchel Type VII submarine to southern France and from there he tries to get back to Germany in a wood gas operated truck.

Buchheim delivers immensly detailed descriptions of the desperate situation for the german submarines, surface vessels and Wehrmacht in Normandy. Although a novel, it is based on Buchheims experiences and notices in 1944.
    And he was a great author too with an intense language.