Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Query: Wehrmacht radio surveillance Eastern Front

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe February 1943 to End of War' started by Belcampo1980, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Belcampo1980

Belcampo1980 New Member

Greetings,

Did the Wehrmacht, on the Eastern Front have a way of monitoring outgoing radio traffic to check whether German frequencies were being sent to the enemy? I know that in the Netherlands they had the RCD (http://www.cryptomuseum.com/df/rcd/) but I think that was used mainly to check for hidden radio stations which the resistance used to communicate to the Allies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Nick

2. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

3. Belcampo1980

Belcampo1980 New Member

hi Sheldrake,

Wow. Thanks for this. Will go through it today.

This is why I love WW2 Forum. :) Always someone who knows something!

Best,

Nick

4. Belcampo1980

Belcampo1980 New Member

Hi Sheldrake,

Had a read through the SIGINT document you provided the link for, and it was a fascinating read. However, the one bit of information I could not find is whether the Germans monitored use of their own radio surveillance. In other words, Did the germans monitor their own radio traffic for enemy infiltration or usage?

Best,

Nick

5. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

If the Germans had radio traffic to listen and try to give false info to allied bombers they surely tried that everywhere. The Finns for exemple in Tali-ihantala 1944 caught a clear message for an attack order. The receiver blamed the sender for not using code. Then he sent exactly the same message in code and we got the key to open messages. The key was our victory to artillery usage to destroy the attack. There is Always radio intelligence at every level even between tank communication.