We Need Your Help - Become a Site Supporter

For 16 years we've been delivering WWII discussion and research, help support our efforts for the next 16 years. Become a WW2 Forums Patron!

Photo
- - - - -

Ellie Wiesel (1928-2016)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Otto

Otto

No More Half Measures

• Administrators
  • 8,069 posts
  • LocationFestung Chicago

User's Awards

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:17 AM

Elie Wiesel, Auschwitz Survivor and Nobel Peace Prize Winner, Dies at 87

http://www.nytimes.c...at-87.html?_r=0

"Wiesel first gained attention in 1960 with the English translation of “Night,” his autobiographical account of the horrors he witnessed in the camps as a 15-year-old boy. He wrote of how he had been plagued by guilt for having survived while millions died, and tormented by doubts about a God who would allow such slaughter."

Part of a grade school history lesson, Night was the first book I read about the Shoa. It always left an impression on me, as it was a straight, candid description of events written without brow beating the German oppressors.

On an interesting related note, I just arrived in North Carolina visiting my excellent in-laws. When I walked in the door this morning, I saw this sitting on the table, a gift from my mother in-law intended for the long drive home. It was especially significant after I heard the news of Mr. Wiesel's passing shortly afterward.

Attached Files

• The_Historian, Slipdigit, TD-Tommy776 and 2 others like this

Comments, questions or feedback? Contact me at ottomail.png
Twitter_logo_blue_16.png twitter

#2 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 12,224 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:20 AM

A great book and a great man. RIP :poppy:

Posted Image

Lou

#3 Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0

Smiles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationThe Land of the Noble Steed

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:46 AM

I had the opportunity to hear him speak when he came to Xavier University a few years ago. I was in awe when I was listening to him. One of the things that I remember him talking about was about how when the camp was liberated the soldiers were giving out pork, which in accordance with Jewish traditions, Jews cannot have. However it was the only thing they were handing out at that time so the liberated prisoners saw no problem in eating the pork. A very inspiring man. He inspired many generations to come; including mine. He was a major advocate and promoter of peace and never stopped advocating for many others. He was an inspiration to me and this world. I know and I continue to pray that his teachings will live on into eternity. May this humble, inspiring and very admirable man rest in peace.

:poppy: :poppy: :poppy:

Edited by Smiley 2.0, 03 July 2016 - 12:46 AM.

Edward J. Geiser (1920-2016)

:poppy:  :poppy:  :poppy:  :poppy:  :poppy:  :poppy:

25s5tep.jpg

"What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."

-Albert Pike

#4 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 24,700 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 04:54 AM

RIP :poppy:

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#5 YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan

Drug

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationPannonia

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:18 AM

May he R.I.P.  :poppy:

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?” ~ Epicurus

#6 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,011 posts
  • LocationThe Land of 10,000 Loons

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:24 PM

An amazing man and a great legacy.  Be at peace, Mr. Wiesel.   :poppy:

"I decided to devote my life to telling the story because I felt that having survived I owe something to the dead, and anyone who does not remember betrays them again."  --  Elie Wiesel

• Smiley 2.0 likes this

Freedom is precious and many gave their lives for it. It is the duty of the future generation
to remember that sacrifice, and offer some sacrifice for themselves if Freedom is threatened.

Cecil Earl Workman, WWII Veteran, "L" Co., 129th Inf. Regt., 37th Inf. Div.

Halvorson_PTO129IR-37ID2.jpg

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

BudETO776TD.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#7 KJ Jr

KJ Jr

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:29 AM