Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Terrorist Attack in Nice, France

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by GRW, Jul 14, 2016.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

For God's sake.
    "AT LEAST 60 people have been killed and 100 more injured in the southern French city of Nice tonight after a lorry was "deliberately driven" into a crowd out celebrating Bastille Day in a confirmed terrorist attack.

French officials have confirmed that they are investigating a terrorist attack and there are unconfirmed reports that there are gunmen on the loose in the city.

It is thought that police officers desperately fired on the truck as it was "deliberately driven" at people leaving a major bank holiday fireworks celebration.

Witnesses said the truck "rammed" the crowd where it was thickest at more than 30mph, and images emerged of the cab riddled with bullets.

Police have identified the driver, who was killed during the incident, and it is believed to have been a man who was known to security services. Separate reports emerged tonight that police fear four different trucks are involved, raising fears of a massive organised terror attack.

Crowds had packed out the city's main promenade to watch a fireworks display marking Bastille Day, a major public holiday in France, and were beginning to head home when the lorry hit.

One witness reported horrific scenes with "dead bodies everywhere" and distressing video footage emerged of people fleeing the Promenade des Anglais, in the southern French city, in terror.

And pictures posted on social media, far too graphic to publish, showed bodies strewn across the road in a scene of total devastation. The world-famous promenade, next to Nice's stunning sandy beach, is one of France's top tourist spots."
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/689673/Panic-terror-French-city-Nice-lorry-ploughs-Bastille-Day-crowd

2. Takao

Takao Ace

Yeah, just saw this coming over the newswire. The number of dead has been fluctating between 30-60, and the situation is very confused, but does appear to be terrorism, with between 1 to 4 trucks involved.

Seriously...Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

EDIT: There is reported a hostage situation at the Meridien Hotel in Nice.

3. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

The new reality. It will never end. We are all in this together.

TIRDAD likes this.
  4. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

My only response to this is anger, a cold, grim, anger. We should apply this grim anger against such types, but I suspect we will see calls for compassion.

5. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

I'm with you Otto.

6. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Let me guess, the bassturd was yelling Allah Akbar...but his motives were unclear.

I grew weary of this sheet Sep 11, 2001.

7. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

This is the first I've heard about it. I'll also second Otto's sentiment. People bent on committing mass murder will figure out a way to carry out their evil deeds. A thug doesn't understand compassion or sensitivity. In fact, they see it as weakness which just emboldens them.

8. USS Washington

USS Washington Active Member

Condolences to the victims and their families, this crap has gotten out of hand.

9. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

Just woke up with the crappy weather and now I hear this. French authorities say that the attacker was known to the police before. Why don't we just lock those "known before" idiots up?! I know "democracy" and "innocent until proven guilty" crap but people's life's are at stake because of this morons.

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

At least 84 dead now and 18 in an desperate situation. When is this going to stop?

11. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

[​IMG]

Slipdigit, GRW and Otto like this.
  12. Alsa.se

Alsa.se Member

That this happened on July 14, it is voluntary.
    It is the symbol of freedom that was attacked. Our government is incapable of managing terrorism on French soil.
    The French people must wake up. In 1789, the people screamed "Aux armes citoyens !" (take the gun, people !)
    That's enough

View attachment 24612

Attached Files:

13. Mutley

Mutley Active Member

Terrible news, condolences to the families involved. Think many nationalities will have been caught up in this. I've heard there is a Scottish couple missing. Had been travelling the coast and were last heard from any hour before the attack. They are not answering their mobiles and the family have turned to social media to try and trace them.

It appears the perpetrator was only known to local police for petty crimes, so not on the intelligence service radar. A Tunisian born French national. We will just have to let them do the investigation to obtain the full facts.

14. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

It's possible he was:

15. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

16. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Wm. He did not have a record when he arrived. He got arrested for crimes like beating up his ex wife. He was a scumbag but there was nothing at this point that showed he was going to be a danger for national security. You live in the EU, so you are aware that a country won't deport someone for hitting his ex .

Something else. Did you note the heroic behaviour of a biker who tried to stop the truck and even jump on it, but he was mowed down while trying to do so? Medias don't tell whether he survived or not. I hope he did.

17. Mutley

Mutley Active Member

You may well be on to something there Wm. I was only referring to what the BBC had reported at the time I was posting here. I guess he became a naturalised French man due to his birth in the former French colony of Tunisia. As I said previously all will be revealed in the fullness of time. At the moment they believe he had no connection with Daesh, but Interpol is going to take over the investigation I've heard via the BBC.

Historian, that is wonderful news for the Scottish family. It must have been such a relief to have heard they were alive. So sad that others will not receive such good news. Heartbreaking to hear of so many children involved.

GRW likes this.
  18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The BBC is wrong about his French nationality. I saw his work permit on TV (the black and white photocopied picture shown everywhere comes from that card too). It clearly states he has a foreign work permit which expires in 2019. If he were French he'd have a national identity card. His ex is currently in custody for questionning. The mistakes comes from the French media who mentioned a Franco-Tunesian this morning, without checking sources. But versions will probably change again tonight ,as long as they have people watching their news channel and as long as they can make money on the back of the dead.

19. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

GRW likes this.
  20. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Vive la France !
    Looking at the truck head on (thought France had right hand driver side)- there are a lot of bullet holes on the passenger side windshield. The holes are mostly lower. Unless there was a passenger inside, those holes might be from the driver firing out.
    Few on the drivers side windshield, but a lot of holes on drivers side behind the drivers door (indicating someone firing diagonally behind).
    Heard reports the driver ran from the truck, he must have had a vest to survive the hail of bullets.
    Was there more than 1 truck, more than 1 terrorist ?