Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Tracing G/Dads service record and medals (UK)

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by commando29, Aug 17, 2016.

1. commando29

commando29 New Member

Hi all,
    i see this topic has been discussed but the pinned post is 2 years old, so any further info on my request is appreciated.

As a former ex service man i was asking my dad about grandads ww2 service, only to find out his medals were lost years ago, now the thing is grandad was a private person and my dad doesn't even have his service records (all we know for sure is he served in the army in Egypt/EL Alamein), Hence we cannot track down his medal allocation and obtain copies, Now i know you can apply to MOD for these but they cost over £30 each and you need his service number (you can also apply for this record costing more money)
    so my question is, does any one know how to track my grandads service record down with out costing a fortune? from there i can track his medal allocation.

cheers
    Lee.

2. Owen

Owen O

You don't need service number if you have his date of birth.
    I don't think 30 Quid is too much to ask if you really want to know what he did.
    I've sent off for records for someone who was killed more than 20 years before I was born who is no relation but found what I got from the mod to be fascinating

3. sonofacameron

sonofacameron Member

Well worth the £30 pounds, gives everything you would want to know, plus a few surprises!!!

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

As Owen said, you don't have to have his service number. The instructions on the form state "service number and/or date of birth". The £30 is for each application filed, and you would be filing just one. I guess it comes down to whether the information you want is worth the cost.