Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The first anti-fascist resistance and uprising

Discussion in 'Prelude to War & Poland 1939' started by YugoslavPartisan, Aug 17, 2016.

1. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

Albona Republic is a Republic which was proclaimed on March 2nd, 1921 by the miners of Labin, Istria, modern day Croatia.

After the breakup of Austria-Hungary after the WWI, Italy tried to Italianize Istria and parts of Dalmatia and enslave the population of those parts.
    Before they had taken the power in Italy, fascists occupied the headquaters of the workers committee in Trieste in 1921, burned it down and attacked the representatives of the trade union of Raše mine. 2000 workers of the mine Labinština organized a strike because of the event at Trieste and previous violent deeds against them. They quickly captured mines, proclaimed the Republic with the motto „The mine is ours“, they organized „Red Guard“ for protection against the fascists and managed mine production with the support of the local people. Fascists finally suppressed the rebellions in April 8th, 1921 after heavy fighting.

Even though the Fascists got to power in Istria in 1922, the Albona Republic uprising is considered to be the first anti-fascist uprising and resistance in the world.

OhneGewehr likes this.
  2. OhneGewehr

OhneGewehr New Member

Weren't there always fights between communists and nationalists after the armistice of 1918 in Germany? The nationalists didn't called themselves fascists so far.

Never heard of it, interesting story! Istria became part of Italy after World War 1, don't think that was a wise decision - similar to South Tyrol.

3. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

There were fights between them before but not as organized and major as this one.