Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Questions about Dad's WWII history

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Steve_B, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Steve_B

Steve_B New Member

Hello.
    New to this forum and I hope I'm in the proper posting area. If not, please direct me to the correct area.

I'm looking for information to trace the history of my dad during WWII. He is 97 now and doesn't remember many of the details, although he does recall general events.

Here is what I know based on some old photos, his memory, army discharge papers, and some research. My questions are in parenthesis.

Inducted in Newark, NJ 8-Apr-41. Basic training possibly at Ft Wheeler, GA (based on his memory. Need to verify this as most likely camp).

Assigned 28th Infantry Division of the Pennsylvania Nationl Guard, 111th Infantry Regiment, Company K.
    (a picture of his dress uniform at that time shows 4 collar or lapel insignias: US, Infantry with K, Ben Franklin unit insignia, but I can't identify the fourth lapel pin. Appears round or oval. Any suggestions).

He participated in the Fall 1941 Carolina Maneuvers.
    In Jan 1942 the 131st QM Truck Company was attached to the 111th IR and created the 111th Infantry Combat Regiment at Cp Pendleton, VA.

Feb 1942 111th was detached from the 28th ID which was sent to Europe with remaining 3 regiments.
    111th was assigned to Eastern Defense Command, 3rd Coast Artillery District, Chesapeake Bay Sector.

November,1943 the 111th was sent to the Pacific Theater.

Dad remained with 131st Truck Company and was sent to European Theater February 1944.
    Unit attached to the 9th Army. Dad drove a 2-1/2 ton truck and carried supplies, troops, and gasoline to the front lines. Also cleared ports in France and Antwerp, Belgium. Stationed in France, Belgium, Luxemburg, Holland, Germany. (would like to know the roll of the 131st Truck Co in the ETO. Was it part of the long distance supply lines?).

October, 1945 departed for home from one of the many "cigarette camps at tent city" near LeHavre, France. (any information which camp the 131st may have been at?).

Thank you for any information you can supply.
    Steve

2. DocL

DocL Member

Camp Wheeler, Georgia, was in fact used for infantry replacement training in 1941-42, and some references say it was the largest infantry training center in the country. So, it's possible that he was stationed there for training, but I can't say it is necessarily the most likely camp-- his DD-214 or equivalent should help clarify this.

The 131st Quartermaster Truck Company was part of the 520th Quartermaster Battalion, HQ/HQ Detachment (Mbl), which was under the 544th Quartermaster Group.

This unit was part of the 9th ARmy (http://usacac.army.mil/CAC2/CGSC/CARL/nafziger/944ULAB.pdf)

Hope that helps a bit.