Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Some Japanese suicide boats that surrendered

Discussion in 'The CBI Theater' started by Owen, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Owen

Owen O

Thought I'd share these 3 pics from IWM website.
    Thought the surrendering one was interesting.
    Shinyo boats arent they?

Covered and cornered in Picnic Bay, Japanese explosive motor boat pilots raise their arms in surrender as men from the British destroyers WHIRLWIND and QUADRANT close-in to investigate the base. Some of the suicide craft are on the beach, ready on their trolleys for launching.

[​IMG]
    JAPANESE SUICIDE BOATS NEAR HONG KONG. AUGUST AND SEPTEMBER 1945, PICNIC BAY.. © IWM (A 30556)IWM Non Commercial Licence

Japanese would-be suicide motor boat pilots taking a last look at the one of their craft after the British destroyers WHIRLWIND and QUADRANT had rounded up the explosive motor boat base in Picnic Bay, near Hong Kong.
    [​IMG]
    JAPANESE SUICIDE BOATS NEAR HONG KONG. AUGUST AND SEPTEMBER 1945, PICNIC BAY.. © IWM (A 30555)IWM Non Commercial Licence

Kamikaze: Naval Weapons: Japanese fast motor boats, packed with high explosive and intended for use against allied shipping, found abandoned in Picnic Bay, Hong Kong after the surrender. These light wooden craft are about 25ft in length, painted green, and are ready in their launching trolleys.
    [​IMG]
    SCENES IN HONG KONG FOLLOWING THE RE-OCCUPATION OF THE CROWN COLONY AFTER THE JAPANESE SURRENDER, SEPTEMBER 1945. © IWM (A 30520)IWM Non Commercial Licence

George Patton and belasar like this.
  2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

John Ray Skates listed over 10,000 suiciders of various types found ready to go after the surrender on the Home Islands.

3. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Planes, Ohka, suicide boats, minisubs, kaiten, etc.

Japan had horded 5,000,000 tons of fuel for defense of the Home islands.

5. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I meant the suicide guys were unclear on the suicide concept, though I guess it's OK since the war ended the previous month.