We Need Your Help - Become a Site Supporter

For 16 years we've been delivering WWII discussion and research, help support our efforts for the next 16 years. Become a WW2 Forums Patron!

Photo
- - - - -

Emblem of Good Will

Poland US independence

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wm.

wm.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationSilesia Inferior

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:35 AM

We the people of Poland, send to you, citizens of the great American Union, fraternal greetings, together with  the assurance of our deepest admiration and estem for the institutions which have been created by you.

In them liberty equality and justice have found their highest expression and have become the guiding stars for all modern democracies.

This from the first page of one of the most  extraordinary gift given by one nation to another,  the 111 volumes presented to the United States by Poland in 1926.  
These volumes, expressing gratitude for the US role in regaining Polish independence, consist of a declaration of admiration signed by 5,500,000 Polish citizens, representing more than one-sixth of the total population of Poland.

From The Library of Congress' site
It may be difficult for Americans, who sometimes take democracy for granted, to understand the impetus behind this demonstration of admiration. For almost the entire history of the American Republic, Poland's political life had been dominated by foreign, autocratic powers, and Poles had looked to the United States as a model of political organization and to American democracy as a promise for their own future. It is, therefore, not surprising that Poland, only eight years after regaining independence from foreign rule, chose to mark the 150th anniversary of American independence.

Attached File  emblem.jpg   13.81KB   0 downloadsAttached File  cover12.jpg   126.32KB   0 downloadsAttached File  cover.jpg   71.56KB   0 downloadsAttached File  1page.jpg   130.41KB   0 downloads

Some of the signatures:

Plońsk Gymnasium for Girls

Attached File  plonsk.jpg   108.08KB   0 downloads

Edited by wm., 18 September 2016 - 10:59 AM.

#2 wm.

wm.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:45 AM

Eight-grade school in Boguszowice

Attached File  boguszowice.jpg   111.44KB   0 downloads

Military Cadet Academy no. 1 in Lwów
We, the members of the corps of cadets bow in reverence to the star-spangled banner, the symbol of freedom, justice and wise power.

Attached File  lwow.jpg   88.06KB   0 downloads

German secondary school in Ruda Śląska

Attached File  ruda slaska.jpg   112.26KB   0 downloads

God Save the United States of Amerika! from the Catholic School for the German Minority no.2 in Królewska Huta

Attached File  krolewska huta.jpg   85.58KB   0 downloads

#3 wm.

wm.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:53 AM

Jewish (business) community of Białystok

Attached File  bialystok.jpg   179.48KB   0 downloads

Private Gymnasium of the Jewish Educational Society for People's and Technical Schools in Stanisławów

Attached File  stanislawow.jpg   116.35KB   0 downloads

Private Ukrainian Gymnasium in Łuck

Attached File  luck.jpg   111.8KB   0 downloads

The German Private School of the Emma Mine
Little deeds of friendship, little words of love, make our earth an Eden, like the heaven above.
In remembrance of the great year 1776 sends this little deed of friendship.
Attached File  emma.jpg   74.33KB   0 downloads

#4 ColHessler

ColHessler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:38 PM

I never knew Poland had done this.  I know they've suffered over time, and I know about Kosciusko and Pulaski.

But wow, thank you Poland for this gesture.

Edited by ColHessler, 18 September 2016 - 12:39 PM.

"Today I was given a brigade of Tiger tanks. When I have a brigade of tanks, that is reality."

#5 gtblackwell

gtblackwell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationAuburn, Alabama, US

Posted 18 September 2016 - 01:22 PM

I agree with ColHessler, it is rare when one nation recognizes another in a meaningful way and I join him in saying Tank You to Poland.

Gaines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users