Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

191st Tank Battalion

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by burt, Jun 6, 2006.

1. burt

burt recruit

Hi,
    I'm doing some reaserch on a family member's time spent during WW2. He was in the 191st Tank Battalion and I'm just curious to know whether they spent any time in England?
    On his record it says he attended an 8 week course on physics at the Shrineham University of England, but I can't find any information on the Unit's locations during the war.
    If anyone knows if they did stay in England and where, please get in touch!
    Many thanks.

2. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

Hell Burt and welcome to the forums. The 191st was attached to the 45th infantry division for most of the war. They laned in North Africa but didn't see combat until they landed at Salerno in September of 1943. On January of '44, they landed in Anzio and went on to fight in the attack on Rome. The battalion landed in southern frace as part of Operation Dragoon on 15 August 1944. They went on to drive across Europe. When the war came to a close, they were in Bamberg and Munich.

They could have possibly been in England before landing at North Africa. I also found some contact information for you:

191st Tank Battalion Association
    Mr. Denis L. Berger
    53 Knecht Drive
    Dayton, Ohio 45405-2626
    (Newsletter)
    (513) 278-3541

Good luck!

3. MARNE

MARNE Member

Hey Burt,

I have an extensive account from the 1st Battalion(A,B,C &D Companies),U.S. 30th Infantry Regiment, U.S. 3rd Infantry Division about a very successul operation on and around April 23rd and 24th 1944 called "Operation Mr. Black"(its a lesser known operation) in which the 191st Tank Battalion assigned several medium and light tanks to the 3rd Infantry Division to give the 1st Battalion, 30th Infantry tank support during the operation, unfortunately I believe in the action all 191st tanks were disabled.

If anyone would like to find out more about this particular series of operations I suggest either of these two books...

History of the U.S. 3rd Infantry Division in WWII by. Donald G. Taggart

or

The History of the U.S. 30th Infantry Regiment in WWII by The Infantry Journal (out of print) the only place you can find exisitng copies would be on ebay from time to time.

Regards,
    MARNE

4. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

Burt, et al,

I returned this evening from the National Archives, College Park,
    MD.

As Dennis said, the 191st was attached to the 45th for most
    of the war. Since the 45th is one of the two American Infantry
    Divisions that are my focus, I copied today these After Action
    Reports of the 191st Tank Bn:

Jan-Feb 1944
    March 1944
    April 1944
    May 1944
    June 1944
    Aug 1944
    Sept 1944
    Oct 1944
    Nov 1944
    Dec 1944
    March 1945

I will eventually scan them as pdfs.

I also have some photos of the 191st in action,
    including a couple I found today.

Dave

spaez65 likes this.
  5. Jim77084

Jim77084 recruit

My father was Orville Higgins. He was in the 191 from 1943 until the end of the war. His records where lost in the 73 fire in St. Louis.
    I would appreciate any HELP I can get.
    I have a 191 book, signed by Whittie. I don't know who he was.

Thanks
    Jim

andymorris70 likes this.
  6. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

Jim,

I scanned today as pdfs the August and September 1944
    Histories of the 191st Tank Bn.

If you would like copies, just let me know.

Dave

spaez65 likes this.
  7. Jim77084

Jim77084 recruit

Yes. Thanks very much. My e-mail is jhigginsatnearterm.com

8. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

Jim,

The files are on their way.

I have about 2 dozen General Orders of the Bn (Jpegs).
    I looked for your dad's name but did not find it.

Dave

9. Cowboy6

Cowboy6 Member

Kerrd 5.
    I would be very interested in the May 44 and Jun 44 After Action Reports for the 191st Tank Battalion. I am working on a book about the seven Texas Aggies awarded the Medal of Honor in World War II. One was Lt. Thomas W. Fowler, 191st Tk Bn who was awarded the MOH for actions at Carano, Italy on 23 May 44. He was KIA on 3 June 44. I will share the reports with his son who is helping with the boo. My email is woodalljg at yahoo.com.
    Cowboy 6

10. Cowboy6

Cowboy6 Member

Kerrd5,
    I would really like to see the After Action Reports for the 191st Tank Bn. for May & Jun 44. I will share them with Fowler's son and deposit them in the Medal of Honor Collection at the Texas A&M University Archives.
    Cowboy 6

11. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

I discovered during the weekend trip to the
    NARA that the December 1943 History of the
    191st Tank Battalion is missing.

In addition, I had previously discovered that
    the Narrative Histories for January and April
    1945 are missing as well, but the Journals exist
    for these two months.

Dave

12. Cowboy6

Cowboy6 Member

Dave,
    Is there any chance that you will send me a copy of the May and June 44 Unit Reports for the 191st Tank Battalion. If not, just say so and I will forget about it.
    Jim Woodall

13. Rome08

Rome08 recruit

Dave,
    I know this thread has been dead for awhile. But i am researching my family and found your post. My great uncle fought for the 191st and was kill in battle near schweinheim Germany. I was wondering if you could Send me November and December of 44 and March of 45. and anything after march 45 if you have it.
    Thank you very much
    Matt

14. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

Matt,

What was his name?

Dave

15. rosleger

rosleger recruit

can you email the histories of the 191st tank battalion when you get a chance.....also do you know how to find out which company an individual was in in the 191st tank battalion?? i found a "yearbook" that has pictures of all of the companies. i am trying to figure out which company my grandfather was in so i can check the photographs to find him. i've scanned the 19 different group shots and it's hard to distinguish.

is there a resource that i could go to for more information??

thanks

16. sgatt7

sgatt7 recruit

My father, William Naber, was also a member of the 19st Tank Battalion. I would be very interested in having any information available sent to me at sgatt7@yahoo.com. I have a copy of the yearbook that someone else has mentioned. If anyone needs it, I will see if I can scan it and send it on. Thanks so much. Also, I have a hand written diary my father kept. I have typed up a copy (long ago so it is not on computer yet). If anyone is interested, I will try to get that online also.

17. AMathis

AMathis recruit

Hi, It looks like I'm coming in way late on this thread but my grandfather was a Sgt. in the 191st and I'm looking for any information I can find about his time overseas. He passed away in 1994 and didn't speak of the war much. We have been told that the tank he was in command of was the first American tank on Italian soil. His name was Jesse Edward Mathis and he was from Detroit, TX. I believe he enlisted in Tyler, TX. He listed his occupation at the time as "tractor mechanic." Guess that would explain why he went into the armored division. Any info I can find out about my papa would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

18. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

Tech 5 Jessie E. Mathis, ASN 38140006, is listed as a recipient of the Good Conduct Medal, per General Order
    2, HQ, 191st Tank Bn, dated 25 January 1944 (Image 2138, 25 September 2009).

He belonged to C Company.

45thinfantry : Messages : 4055-4084 of 4084

Dave

19. shrlee406

shrlee406 Member

Looking for any information I can find on Ramon Y Perez who was a member of the 191st Tank Battalion and was KIA in 1944.. Thanks

20. Stevesdaughter

Stevesdaughter recruit

Hello, I am looking for anyone that might have been with the 191st Charlie Co that would remember my father 1LT Steve Sattler. I would appreciate any leads. Thank you.