Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New Member Here

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by RichardBunchDaughter, Sep 30, 2016.

1. RichardBunchDaughter

RichardBunchDaughter New Member

Looking for info on my dad who served in 311th Artillery Battalion attached to 79th Infantry Division at the battle of Hatten-Rittershoffen in January 1945 (Alsace, France). He was Captain Richard E. Bunch, a forward artillery observer who received the Bronze Star during this engagement.

He was very proud of his camera and nearly always had it with him (see attached photo).

I'm not a military buff - I don't know the terminology, etc. but my younger relatives would probably appreciate having more information about Daddy and his unit. He died in 1981.

He married an Army nurse who also served in France and England. She also is deceased. I've kinda inherited the "family historian" role and I also inherited Daddy's slide collection from WWII. It seems like most or all of the photos are from his training. There are several photos of New Orleans so I'm assuming that part of his training was there, and of course he was at Ft. Sill for artillery training. I can post some of View attachment 24993 those here as soon as I figure out HOW.

Daddy was born in Indiana, as was I. If anyone served with him or knows of someone who did I'd love to hear from you.

His daughter, Candy
    Idaho

Attached Files:

Otto likes this.
  2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

welcome . If other pictures are the same quality then yes, by all means I'd love to see them.
    If you post some details about your dad, I'm sure some of our members will be able to help finding info about his career.

RichardBunchDaughter likes this.
  3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums!

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Welcome to the Forum, Candy. Researching a WWII soldier's service is not always easy. There are several members here who are willing and able to help you if you would like. You may want to look through some of the posts in the section Military Service Records and Genealogical Research. You can also post your own topic there if you have a specific question.

The majority of WWII veterans have either passed away or are in their 90s. The odds of finding someone who knew your dad are not good. Having said that, you may be able to connect with someone who is on or has been on the same journey your are on. Fortunately, some veterans wrote down their stories from their service and they have been made available online. I found a couple that may interest you:

World War II journals of Colonel Walton S. Van Arsdale, 311th Field Artillery Battalion Commander

John M. Macdonald, 311th Field Artillery Battalion, Battery B

Here's a link to a PDF of Mr. Macdonald's book, The War as I Knew It

While it is unlikely they will mention your dad, their stories will give you an idea of what he experienced during the War.

RichardBunchDaughter likes this.
  5. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

Welcome Candy!

6. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Welcome

7. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the site Candy. Please share what you can. Photos are always welcome, feel free to email me for help with posting the photos (my email is in my signature).